Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: working for over 25 yrs in pain

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I hope they don't fall asleep on you at night ... or they'll crush you inadvertently!
    Actually they do. Buttercup, the golden (seizure detection, mobility assistance) puts me to bed by lying next to the pillows with her chin on my neck or shoulder. Ivan, the Anatolian (mobility assistance, qualified therapy as well), sleeps on my legs, sometimes curled up, sometimes with his head on my stomach.

They make me feel very safe, and they don't mind if I cry into their fur. One of Buttercups commands is "make better" which means lie next to someone and put her chin on their chest while the person pets or holds her. She is still working on therapy qualification.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

to the o.p I was born with a painful life ahead. a good life though. the last couple years have been really hard. Im dealing with some of what you are dealing with, but also take pain meds. sometimes I do get windows of no pain. mostly now its hit and miss with medications and tests until the problem is figured out.

Im really hoping modern medicine will prevail over pain and orthastatic tachycardia, fatigue and disautonomia.

I guess the answer is I could't deal with work and pain. that is why im drawing $666 a month and living with a fentynal patch, and an oxy 2-3 times a week.

I don't know what id do without my skype buddies. they make me laugh, and they cause enjoyment, and they give me something to look forward to, as does my camera, and taking up watercolor(not very good, but better than last week).

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    They make me feel very safe, and they don't mind if I cry into their fur. One of Buttercups commands is "make better" which means lie next to someone and put her chin on their chest while the person pets or holds her.
    I need a man like that! "Make better." Jeez!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I know a man like that, but he also likes rubber, clothlines, and trashbags.

I still miss working, and would if I could. Not enough hand movement left, and too much pain, but if the hands would work....I would do it. Maybe work became too much of me, or I became too much of the work. Families just are'nt close like they use to be. I did'nt notice it so much until I could'nt work. Now I try to stay busy sewing when I can, and doing postcards when I have the supplies. I have'nt been able to drive now in almost two years. I miss that a lot......being able to get out on my own and look around. Now, I have to wait until someone has the time, and I feel up to it when they do. Does'nt always work out. I'd like to get out once or twice a week, but sometimes it's only once a month.

I just wish I had been smart enough to have chosen a company that had a retirement plan! I had figured on starting a savings plan and just keep right on working....but that did'nt work out! lol So Cass, I hope wherever you worked, they had a retirement plan for employees. Jim and I always thought we had the time to get it done, but I'm afraid we got done in.......

Well, hell. I see myself in that spot 15-20 years from now, wondering if the work was worth the pain.
    Right now, it is. But I guess it's one breath at a time. My kids are the cuddlers right now, but as they get closer to puberty, I see the benefit of having dogs!

Working may aggravate the pain but it is not as bad as being poor in my eyes. I do take time off from work and find my back still hurts even when I am relaxing on a beach somewhere so I don't tend to blame my job or think I would be better off without it (although I know sitting at my desk for 10 plus hours some days will leave me sore as hell) I enjoy the lifestyle my job provides me so I would not trade it for anything.

when your choices are down to walmart greeter, and then you get bumped by a guy with no shins, because you told a mean lady who rammed your wheelchair with a cart to look out, and she started a thing.... that was my last job. I just couldnt deal with pain and bullshit smelling assholes too. it took me months to get that stupid job.

school has been the biggest exacerbation of my pain. it isnt just the classes but the HOURS of homework required after. in summer, when i am just free to do research, my days are easy. i do research late at night til wee hours of the morning. so by 12pm i am nearly done. it's great! so for now, it is worth it. i do hope you get relief and help soon!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Monoski View Post
    Working may aggravate the pain but it is not as bad as being poor in my eyes. I do take time off from work and find my back still hurts even when I am relaxing on a beach somewhere so I don't tend to blame my job or think I would be better off without it (although I know sitting at my desk for 10 plus hours some days will leave me sore as hell) I enjoy the lifestyle my job provides me so I would not trade it for anything.
    And I agree with this too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12