Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: working for over 25 yrs in pain

  1. #1

    working for over 25 yrs in pain

    I like to hear success stories. but, am a bit tired of other complaints. I really don't post here much any more as I have nothing to add. so, guess i'll say no more except worked in pain until in tears, drove my son in pain on thousands of mile trips in tears and I can't really suggest anybody do this. yet....am glad I did though paying big price now. wtf do I know? nothing. except I don't think I can hang in there much longer. so. was it worth it? I dunno. my son's eyes say no, what a f'd up life. ok, my rant for the night following 5 days of diarrhea all over me and bed with no help. never happened before.

  2. #2
    I don't know Cass, although there is a great sense of pride in working through the pain, you have made me question, is it worth it. Everyone is different, some may have no choice, but there is something to be said about taking care of yourself first.
    It sucks to hear your pain now and your regret. I wish there was something that could be done to make things better for you. Hang in there, you help people here.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Sue Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin USA
    Posts
    11,007
    Call in some help for a few hours a day until you get whatever that is under control, Cass. See a doc maybe he can get you in a hospital for a few days so you get it paid for until you are back where you were. Pain is bad enough without the added downhill slide in your environment.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

  4. #4
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Been at it 21yrs but only full-time for 14yrs ... I'm getting awfully tired too but I can't afford to go off and I have no idea what I'd do with my time ... I'd go nuts with no husband or child.

    So, stuck.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

  5. #5
    If they dont have the torturous pain they just dont/cant get it and for thr most part dont/cant care. I hear and understand. I am so sorry and understand the complexity of the situation. You do need a break, but how? Get that too.

    Courage

    Ket
    Kindly,

    The Ketamine Kitty

    All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

    Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

    And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    lynn, you absolutely correct, go nuts. I lived in hospital LONG time - YEARS. I do not have driver license although trying to get family to help me get it. Do have a dog not, almost 3 years. He seems have helped tremendously but really irks me he doing that. I never got hi to do that. I got him to be my friend and he has exceeded that. I cannot even hear, understand what is said on TV or talk with anyone. Sure am BEGGING my family to help me regain driver license. Hoping license and getting out, will at least open a new door I do not know about. Dog though does give me 300+ kisses each nigh we get in bed. He lays aside of me, I guess all night. That probably makes me feel good and I know seeing him happy, makes ME feel good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,813
    Ket, hey now. I am supposed to be the only person on here at this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by bollefen View Post
    If they dont have the torturous pain they just dont/cant get it and for thr most part dont/cant care. I hear and understand. I am so sorry and understand the complexity of the situation. You do need a break, but how? Get that too.

    Courage

    Ket

  8. #8
    Hah, haven't slept more than an hour or 2 at a time in going on13 years. just rarely hit this site. i type so slow it timesout befor i can finish and during the night i don't have the patience to write in word and copy it over etc.

    ket lurking when you least expect it

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    Ket, hey now. I am supposed to be the only person on here at this time.
    Kindly,

    The Ketamine Kitty

    All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

    Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

    And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

  9. #9
    Senior Member IsMaisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Just outside Fort Bragg, NC USA
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    lynn, you absolutely correct, go nuts. I lived in hospital LONG time - YEARS. I do not have driver license although trying to get family to help me get it. Do have a dog not, almost 3 years. He seems have helped tremendously but really irks me he doing that. I never got hi to do that. I got him to be my friend and he has exceeded that. I cannot even hear, understand what is said on TV or talk with anyone. Sure am BEGGING my family to help me regain driver license. Hoping license and getting out, will at least open a new door I do not know about. Dog though does give me 300+ kisses each nigh we get in bed. He lays aside of me, I guess all night. That probably makes me feel good and I know seeing him happy, makes ME feel good.
    Oh, you really hit some of my issues. Like you I have severely limited input perception. I can hear if someone talks carefully and slowly to me, but no TV and my vision isn't reliable even when I am not hallucinating (from brain damage, a type of seizure activity, not from meds).

    Independence - I will never drive again, but I am so ready to relocate to an area with public transit. I am completely dependent on others for transportation. So I have to balance their schedules with my variable ability to function and can only go out when everything lines up. I really try to go out at least once a week, but sometimes it's only once a month. Being homebound just plain sucks.

    I really would not manage without my dogs. A couple of times, they have been the only thing between me and suicide.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

  10. #10
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I really would not manage without my dogs. A couple of times, they have been the only thing between me and suicide.
    I hope they don't fall asleep on you at night ... or they'll crush you inadvertently!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Similar Threads

  1. Working, The Stigma of Not Working & Disability
    By KyleP2112 in forum Work, School, & Money
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM
  2. Working, Wanting to Work & Not Working...
    By KyleP2112 in forum Work, School, & Money
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM
  4. Working Full Time with Pain?
    By derek in forum Pain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •