Thread: Ceiling or frame type lifts

Ceiling or frame type lifts

My therapist and wound care nurse are pushing for me to use a lift to prevent shearing while i transfer from the bed to the chair and back again. My question is can they be used independently? I still want to be as independent as possible.

I am a T-10 para and I still have decent upper body strength but I certainly don't transfer as well as I used to.
    T-10 Paraplegic since September 1994 - Transverse Myelitis

Some can. You would need to use one that includes a lateral motor (as well as the lifting motor) to move the lift across the track, and there is a great variation in how easy the slings are to manage independently (putting on and removing). Some find the SureHands frame sling the easiest to use, but it is not for everyone.

Ceiling track or free-standing frame track lift vendors are not too hard to find. Recommend you only deal with companies that will come out to your home to do an estimate, and have a showroom or other place for you to actually try out the slings and lifts.

Not all companies do home installs. Some specialize only in institutional installations and will not do them in a home.

(KLD)

We had one of this company's ceiling lift tracks installed in our new condo during the bath renovation. The local installer is an elevator company for both smaller commercial apps and homes. http://www.arjohuntleigh.com/usah/default.asp I'm going to be ordering a smaller hygiene type sling because the regular sling while workable has way too much material between my shoulders and hip and I'm 5'7". I would not have ever guessed I'd want what looked a rather unsteady sling had I not been exposed to them recently at the UW-Health System clinics and centers. The track starts on the far side of our bedroom across the bed to a turn into the bathroom ending above my jacuzzi. We can use it for bed to chair or shower/commode chair next to the bed or all the way to the tub and down. Not cheap but we plan on aging in place.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

If you want to use it yourself, be sure to check out the Surehands: Pricey but worth it.

Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 05-08-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Oh yea, the Arjo can be used alone by many. Mainly mid to lower paras because you need to reach up and slide the loopd or clipd into their hooks. The Surehands is probably easier for self use but I'd try both out first. I got feedback from several people about the good and bad of both too.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have a sure hands ceiling lift with the body brace system. It's quick and easy to get into and out of but I believe it is very hard on the shoulders. I have a bad shoulder which was worsened by this lifting system. I may have to go to the sling system which is more complicated to get in and out of. At t10 you should (barring predisposing shoulder problems) be able to use their body brace system easily without assistance. For quads it's a bit more difficult. If you want to be truly independent you will need to have the ceiling track system and in this regard be advised to be very careful and make sure the layout serves your needs.