Thread: pool therapy??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

pool therapy??

a friend is interested in working with me in the pool. I've heard that it's effective but never had the help until now. Swimming I use an innertube to keep my balance, but with it I can't move my arms very well. What are some better flotation / support options for pool exercise? And please share effective techniqes worth targeting while in the pool. Thank you so much! Ian

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I never knew how to swim pre-SCI, but took lessons last summer. I used these along with swimmers shoes and the belt really does a good job at keeping you upright or great for floating on back of pulled up a little higher. Swimming face down I didn't use anything but shoes and goggles. I got pretty good at rolling, but lessons cost too much. Being in the deep end of a pool upright feels great on the body.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thank you, looks very interesting. Did it really float you upright without tipping?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
    thank you, looks very interesting. Did it really float you upright without tipping?
    it does a pretty good job. you will need to move it to wear it keeps you upright. for a good workout, you can wear the belt lower and get the web gloves and tread water in the deep end. I got to where I could tread water for 3 minutes with out any floatation devices. I got a couple different ones and used the smaller as I got more comfortable in the water. I would suggest swimming shoes to protect your feet from dragging the pool bottom. they also seemed to help feet float a little fro me.

Here are a pretty good variety of swim aids:

http://www.accesstr.com/AMAZING/item...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

(KLD)

....good.

Pool therapy cannot put into words what it HAS DONE FOR ME This was 10+ years after accident. The lady had me on my back, supported by 1 single foam "stick. Told me just relax. It was very difficult to relax. But she did all of the leg movement for me as if I was walking while lying in the water. 1 key thing for me was, I closed by eyes, which I am told me eliminated the visual input to brain. After some of that I went to parallel bars mounted in water. Most of that walking, I think was still "arms" but with the water supporting remainder of body. Within a few sessions, she had me walking up and down the step in the water. Still cannot liift legs high enough at home to do same. With all water therapy, 8 sessions, that got things going for me that I could work on at home. Do do now and continual to build more and more strength and movement from waist to toes in each leg. I contribute that to the water therapy. I think the therapy gave me chance to get all things synchronized and working together at the correct speed.

thank you for sharing, it is very encouraging, and keep up the good work

The pool therapy was only 8X. And that is 10+ years after. Insurance is a waste. That was what limited it to 8X outpatient. I cannot hear, but another HUGE thing with the H2O therapy was the therapist and I were on the exact "same page" in what she was doing, communicating my body output back to here AND what we were trying to achieve. I was able to take home what she was doing and take home and practice on my bed. Without the leg movement, but at least seem to feel things like correct upper body weight transfer at correct times. I was always stuck trying to step forward with either leg, but brain had all upper body weight on stepping leg instead of supporting leg. Like this, I guess brain should have been saying jump.