Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Atrophy and "Cures"

Muscle Atrophy and "Cures"

Can the muscle atrophy get so bad that it can not be reversed? I know to people that have flaccid paralysis there is the Austrian stim unit but if you don't use this could the muscle tissue become so far gone that any future therapy would likely not work for you since reconnecting signals to a muscle so far gone would not help much.

The SCI Nurses can provide a more definitive answer, but I have been told by my PT's and docs over the years that the atrophy and contractures, especially in my legs, would be very difficult to overcome at my age (60+) and length of disability (45+ years). However, I still do ROM 2 or 3 times a day.

Keep up the hope, but also keep up the stretching and exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    The SCI Nurses can provide a more definitive answer, but I have been told by my PT's and docs over the years that the atrophy and contractures, especially in my legs, would be very difficult to overcome at my age (60+) and length of disability (45+ years). However, I still do ROM 2 or 3 times a day.

Keep up the hope, but also keep up the stretching and exercise!
    what is ROM?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    what is ROM?
    Read-only Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    what is ROM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
    Read-only Memory
    ROM = Range of Motion

ROM is Range Of Motion. I had a lot of complications from and after injury. Hospital 5+ years. There muscles in legs probably gone from laying on back for los long. Add 5 more years of sitting more in wheelchair and zero exercise. Put plan together working from top of body to bottom 1 piece at a time. And I me and ONLY 1. I now have, I think, most or all muscles working waist down to toes. Still weak in areas as well as and both continually short ROM. Am working on both of these and both continually to improve. This includes a lot of massaging to ensure sensation. If you have atrophy in your leg, seriously doubt your foot will work. This is way worked on it. Forgot about foot and moved upward body toward brain until I felt I was ready to proceed downward.

Dr Young has spoke to this a couple times in the last year. Just do a search.

I think it can be.

Iv worked with some starving creatures, with not a bit of muscle left on their bodies. too weak to move, and only hours away from slipping into death.

so thin they had consumed all fat and muscle. some you just cant save because the heart must have fat to beat, and by then the heart muscle has been atrophied too.

the muscles do come back with careful nurishment, massage, warm water therapy....
    iv seen this also with dogs who's atrophy was caused by disc impingements, so they were atrophied due to being paralized. same treatments as with starving animals who have consumed all fat and muscle tissue.

it does come back with careful work. at least for dogs, cats, horses, birds, and reptiles. those are all the types of creatures ive fed to health after being skin and bones.
    I don't see why it would be different for people.

I spoke with a professor who worked on that Austrian unit now being sold by Anatomical Concepts out of the UK ... he said that he wouldn't be surprised if there were still a muscle fibre or two that would still respond ..
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I spoke with a professor who worked on that Austrian unit now being sold by Anatomical Concepts out of the UK ... he said that he wouldn't be surprised if there were still a muscle fibre or two that would still respond ..
    You need to be careful with estim though. It can hurt trace muscles so build them up first with either vibration or tapping to and advance very slowly so they do not get over fatigued.