Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spinal stroke question for Dr. Young

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Wise,

I was always led to believe that AVMs were congenital, not genetic. At least that's what I found when researching this back when my wife and I were deciding to start a family. I'd hate to think that my son, 14, has to be on guard for AVMs.

Stephen
    Stephen, the vast majority of AVM's are congenital. However, if there is a family history, genetics might be involved. Wise.

Blog Entries

Lupus possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I hope it's not an infarct as I have yet to hear of real recovery past what methylprednisolone or tPA can do within the first few hours. It would help to know which hospital and rehab he went to. Check out the transverse myelitis association online. If it is TM, ADEM or NMO they can direct you where to look for experts in your area or to send copies of his tests for another look. Rarely is the virus that causes TM still in the CSF when paralysis hits. It does leaves markers though. I'd also ask your neuro about any other infection that can attack the CNS. My infarct was small and yet it could still be seen on an MRI 21 years ago. Has he been tested for any thing like Lyme or did he have any vaccines a few weeks before the onset of the pain and paralysis? Any traveling?
    Hi Sue,
    We just heard that one of the blood tests came back positive for auto antibody of Lupus. We have to get blood rechecked now. I hope it was not an infarct, too. We were told the (non-traumatic) injury was infarct to T9 but he was swollen to T5. The Neuro also said he was swollen T9 to sacral. He also said the pattern of events and specific lesions do not look like NMO.
    I am aching to know if we can expect any return. All doctors we have seen have said it is too soon to tell. His legs and feet are going crazy with tingling all the time. He also was told by PT that his abs were firing below his injury. I am so desperate for any sort of recovery.

Definitely go with the one of the 2 places I suggested privately or our Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He can be followed closer to home once he has a solid diagnosis. Infarcts normally don't stretch that far unless it's a bleed from open heart surgery or an artery is ripped out during a traumatic injury. Tingling is good.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Blog Entries
    My husband had an idiopathic spinal stroke 2 years ago at T11, with inflammation to t5 and down to sacrum. We had excellent medical and rehab care. As of now he is still t10 para. I was just going over some medical records and realized my husband had started Tamiflu 10 days prior to the onset of pain and numbness. Can anyone make any possible connections there?
    He did not have the flu but my daughter had influenza A so he was taking the tamiflu prophylactically.
    i didn't remember he had been on the Tamiflu and never mentioned it to any doctors. Should I have?

Yes! A massive risk of stroke can occur with Tamiflu, there was a period in which doctors avoided recommendations of it... Please check the link below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sk-stroke.html

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbroken View Post
    My husband had an idiopathic spinal stroke 2 years ago at T11, with inflammation to t5 and down to sacrum. We had excellent medical and rehab care. As of now he is still t10 para. I was just going over some medical records and realized my husband had started Tamiflu 10 days prior to the onset of pain and numbness. Can anyone make any possible connections there?
    He did not have the flu but my daughter had influenza A so he was taking the tamiflu prophylactically.
    i didn't remember he had been on the Tamiflu and never mentioned it to any doctors. Should I have?