Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Quads

High Quads

I am looking for information on the specific needs of a high quad C 1-4 would need to perform activities of daily living. This would include recreation, transportation, housing, social engagements, work, school, relationships and personal care. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated as I would like to make sure I am doing the right things for my friend.
    Sincerely,
    The duke

The Duke, I am a C5 myself. Seeing as how you do not get the response you are looking for. I could help you are still looking. I am also located in Bay Area. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Brian C/5

Brian,
    Thank you for contacting me regarding my post. I would appreciate any thoughts you have regarding specific considerations for providing peer support to persons with high quadriplegia. C1-4
    Please do not hesitate to contact me.
    I would be interested in speaking with you as well if at all possible
    Regards,

Do you have any specific questions? You can e-mail me if you'd like.

Brian C/5

bRIAN,
    i WOULD LIKE AN OPPORTUNITY TO EMAIL YOU REGARDING MY POSTED QUESTION. DO YOU HAVE THOUGHTS, RESOURCES, REFERRALS ON WAYS TO PROVIDE PEER SUPPORT TO PERSONS WITH HIGH LEVEL CERVICAL INJURIES. YOU INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    PLEASE EMAIL ME ON HOW TO CONTACT YOU SHOULD YOU BE INTERESTED OR HAVE SUGGESTIONS
    THANK YOU,
    SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS!

Your e-mail address is not in your profile. Do you have a specific question? How old is this person? What is the gender of this person? What are their interests? We are all still individuals.

Brian C/5

Brian, he is a young man age 19 and enjoys cars, hanging with his buddies.What are some of your experiences with modifications, activities of daily living, what kind of home set ups are needed to accomodate a C1-4. Any thing you can think of that is a considerational support device for a person with a C1-4. I realize this is a very open statement, however, it is important to know how you and some of the people you know have accomodated your life to meet your needs. you can email me at
    richard.patterson@hhs.co.santa-clara.ca.us. I appreciate your continued interest. Looking forward to your comments

Hi, I am a C1-2, vent dependent 19-year-old. Is your friend vent dependent? If so does he know about the PNS? It is a device that is implanted under the skin and through electrodes and a small box (much smaller than the ventilator) it helps you breathe more naturally because it uses your diaphragm.

As for doing things socially and doing every day things, it may be just a little bit harder to do certain things, but mostly everything can be done to a point and he may just need a lot of help. He can attend school, there are a lot of things schools do to accommodate us. Make sure he gets ahold of the disabled services at his school, they help a lot. If you have any questions go ahead and e-mail me. I

Duke, as a some what high level quad, being injured at age 20. Not to distract from the importance of the things listed above. Knowledge of the exciting things happening in research, needs to be a part of peer support. IMO I cannot think of a better thing I would have like to have heard after my injury than, "Hey you know what they've got the fix almost figured out and you know already there are people getting limited return. If my friend could not make it to this site I'd be updating him daily.
    http://www.lionsclubtraralgon.asn.au/scr.html

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
    Gandolf the Gray

Very true , Leo. It always raises my spirits to be informed of new breakthroughs. It raises the spirits of the people around you as well. That is just as important.

Brian C/5