Thread: Rectal prolapse

Rectal prolapse

Is anyone aware of a colorectal surgeon at Stanford who has experience with rectal prolapse surgery and SCI? Thanks.

I ask because there was a thread about rectal prolapse here a few years ago and the SCI nurse said that there are few colorectal surgeons who have SCI experience but mentioned there was one at Stanford. I am hoping that Dr is still there and someone can direct me to him/her. Thanks!

oh nooooo, I hope you are able to get things fixed pretty soon.
    if that happened to me, I think I might just get colostomy set-up though.

I mean it still has to be repaired, and I think they sometimes do a temporary ostomy.
    I guess I might wonder if Id keep the ostomy.

Dr. Stone used to be the go-to GI physician at Stanford for those with SCI, but he has retired.

The SCI Center at the Palo Alto VA Medical Center would work closely with Stanford physicians, as their staff are also on the clinical faculty at Stanford. You might try calling that center and ask them who they work with at Stanford for their patients who need GI surgery:

VA Palo Alto Spinal Cord Injury Service
    3801 Miranda Ave (128)
    Palo Alto, CA 94304
    (650) 493-5000 x65871
    Toll Free: 800-999-5021

(KLD)

Had a R. prolapse after so many years of dig stim and suppossitories. Bout killed me literally. Even had deceased relatives visiting me telling me it was okay to cross over if I chose. It was then I decided on a colostomy; sigmoid loop.

As much as i would prefer not to have one, it is probably one of the better choices I made in later life. I was spending so many hours in the loo; after the surgery, I had to find a new hobby with all the extra hours I gained off the toilet. Also is nice not having to worry if the bathroom is accessible or not.