Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Air Gauge for Roho by John Crow

Okay, I can see what I've done now, I actually need the stethoscope as well in order to have the U-shaped piece of tubing. I'll have to send it back and get them to exchange it.

A Satisfied Roho user

Just an endorsement of Roho's value:

After 17 years in a chair, I developed my first and hopefully, only, pressure wound, a nasty stage IV ischial ulcer.
    After healing from surgery, I spent 2 weeks at Kessler recovering my strength AND getting pressure mapped for a better cushion and backrest.
    There conclusion: Jay deep comfort? customized w/10% overfill and 17x17 into 17x18 extended base.

I signed up for another clinic and to order a new chair (my newest is a 2001). Meanwhile, I had strayed off the ranch and got myself a Quad Roho deep for my out of the house chair.
    We mapped both of my cushions, the custom they prescribed in 2012, and the Quad Roho I got myself.
    NO COMPARISON! Try as she could, the Jay was no match for the Roho, even as I had been using it which was slightly over-inflated-it got better with less air.
    There were no yellow or red spots on the Roho maps, which indicate his and higher pressure areas, even as presented.
    Best case with Jay was several yellow areas.

I rest my case! Roho's are superb!
    (and the cushion covers are nicer and don't fray and get impossible to use the zipper to the point of requiring replacement if you wash them ten times!)
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

PS: regarding pressure. .55psi~38mBar, so a 50mBar gauge would be great.

In mm of mercury (mmHg) that's 28.4mmHg. That's less than 10% of the (300) range of a blood pressure cuff; it would be nice to have a better gauge perhaps?

(guess who's in the market?)
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-26-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Okay, I can see what I've done now, I actually need the stethoscope as well in order to have the U-shaped piece of tubing. I'll have to send it back and get them to exchange it.
    I made exactly the same mistake first time. I only found the 2 pce kit when I googled stethoscope tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post

(and the cushion covers are nicer and don't fray and get impossible to use the zipper to the point of requiring replacement if you wash them ten times!)
    I'm glad it worked for you but not all butts are the same!

in my research I found that roho did try a mat that goes under the cushion to tell you when you bottom out from a leak. it was called the merlin and they almost immediately pulled it from the market shortly after it come on the scene. Guess it didn't work. kind of like the discussion on the smart check not working. HMMMM maybe simpler is better... something is needed because any cushion that holds air is going to leak. its just a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Just an endorsement of Roho's value:

After 17 years in a chair, I developed my first and hopefully, only, pressure wound, a nasty stage IV ischial ulcer.
    After healing from surgery, I spent 2 weeks at Kessler recovering my strength AND getting pressure mapped for a better cushion and backrest.
    There conclusion: Jay deep comfort? customized w/10% overfill and 17x17 into 17x18 extended base.

I signed up for another clinic and to order a new chair (my newest is a 2001). Meanwhile, I had strayed off the ranch and got myself a Quad Roho deep for my out of the house chair.
    We mapped both of my cushions, the custom they prescribed in 2012, and the Quad Roho I got myself.
    NO COMPARISON! Try as she could, the Jay was no match for the Roho, even as I had been using it which was slightly over-inflated-it got better with less air.
    There were no yellow or red spots on the Roho maps, which indicate his and higher pressure areas, even as presented.
    Best case with Jay was several yellow areas.

What cushion were you on when you got your pressure sore? Did it start off with a red mark, or did it just appear from nowhere?

Have you still got quite a lot of padding on your backside, or are you quite bony?

Quote Originally Posted by pearlstreet View Post
    in my research I found that roho did try a mat that goes under the cushion to tell you when you bottom out from a leak. it was called the merlin and they almost immediately pulled it from the market shortly after it come on the scene. Guess it didn't work. kind of like the discussion on the smart check not working. HMMMM maybe simpler is better... something is needed because any cushion that holds air is going to leak. its just a fact of life.
    If any of my tyres lose air pressure on my Mercedes sprinter van a light comes up on the dashboard telling me so. Why is it they can't do something similar with the Roho?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    What cushion were you on when you got your pressure sore? Did it start off with a red mark, or did it just appear from nowhere?

Have you still got quite a lot of padding on your backside, or are you quite bony?
    When I got the pressure wound, I had been sitting on a Roho Nexus Spirit for ~6 years, which is a very minimal cushion-foam shell with a small air bladder in the middle. I had found them and chose them without any professional help-defiant!
    I think what may have been the ultimate cause was when I did a "heroic" drive 9 hours without a cushion I'm my car! Shortly lated did we discover the wound, already quite progressed on my fairly bony ass.

Regarding comparisons between TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) in your car and in a Roho: in a car, there are battery powered transmitters in each wheel on the bases of the valve stems. (not the sort of object you could tolerate inside a Roho cushion); there is a sensor which turns the monitor on and off when the tire stops rotating (centrifugal), otherwise the batteries would fail way before the unmanageable 4-8 years they do last (at which time you must replace the whole assy, batteries not replaceable-DUMB! The pressures in a tire are much easier to design sensors for-the pressures are ~2-2.5 atmospheres. The pressure in a Roho is very low (.04 atmospheres) and such a sensor is difficult to miniaturize.

I'm not an electronics guru, but I wonder if some kind of capacitance sensor could warn when the upper and lower ends of the air cells got too close for "comfort"?
    NW NJ

royo tried to make a device but failed. your best bet is buy the blood pressure gauge and keep a close watch on the pressure because a leak can happen at any time and quickly leads to a pressure sore and that can be deadly. simple is best and with a cushion like this you need constant vigilance.