Thread: Please help!!!!!

Please help!!!!!

Dear SCI Nurse and Members,

I'm currently having extrem spacticity/tightnes in my back, trunk and in legs. I also have profuse sweating below my injury level ( T6/T7). Recently, I had MRI and the result indicates as follows:

- Mild Edema within the superior and plate of T11. There is increase signal within the spinal Cord at the level of T7 and T8. Differential include a developing Syrinx versus myelomalacia.

Please help me explaining what this means and anyone with the same experience, I'm terrified to death....

Call your doctor who ordered the MRI and ask him/her to explain the findings. Sounds to me that the radiologist is thinking it is either showing a developing syrinx or myelomalacia but it could be something else.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

how long ago was your injury? edema is swelling. Syrinx coomonly occurs in SCIa widening and very complex, Usually referred to neurosurgery for consultation. Most of the time monitor it and see if widens.
    CWO

sci nurse and sue,
    thank you for your prompt reply. my MRI result was seen by physiatrist. he told me that i have a syrinx.
    but most of all i am having all the symptoms (i read the symptoms from the internet) of the syrinx: extreme squeezing tightness on my back, increasingly crazy stiffness/spacticity on my leg, profusely sweating below my injury etc.
    could you please advise me what i should do...where to start and whom i have to consult about my situation? i am so much confused and anxious.

You need a consultation with a neurosurgeon who will advise if there is treatment or surgery needed.
    CWO

What CWO said. If surgery is the answer get a second opinion and ask each neurosurgeon how they plan on making sure the syrinx doesn't return and how they will deal with any tethering.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

thank you for your advice.....
    today i met with my physiatrist to review my MRI and compare it with the previous MRI taken five months back. the latest MRI result indicate that my syrinx is "stable" i don't need surgery. thus the physiatrist suggested botox injection for my severe back pain/spasticity. since i haven't heard of (as i am new to sci) i told him that i would think about it.

would injection help spcticity/ pain on my back?

i also set appointment to see a neurologist to discuss about my MRI result in three weeks time.