Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't sit here, please.

Don't sit here, please.

I know there's no data to answer this question, but I'm always concerned when someone sits on my lap that they're not going to fracture my osteoporotic femur. I'm not in the habit of offering up my lap as alternative seating, but last night a friend's wife decided to take a load off and rest on my "very comfortable" lap. I'm not at all bothered by the assumed familiarity (I've known her for a very long time) and thankfully she's not at all gargantuan. She wasn't barcalounging on me for too long, but I get nervous because I have no idea how much weight my legs can support.

Like many of the unknowns in life, the answer comes from experience. A rudimentary understanding of physics suggests ball park limits of prudence. The gray areas are settled by testing.

Some asses are worth the risk.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I let kids sit on my lap and sometimes take them for a ride, but it stops when they are too big for the same reason you cited. Barcolounging, I love it! Now if she were offering a lap dance...

Point of fact, I don't like adults using my WC as a place to "rest" on or lean on. Just my personal feelings. My WC is an extension of my body and after all I don't lean on them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I know there's no data to answer this question, but I'm always concerned when someone sits on my lap that they're not going to fracture my osteoporotic femur. I'm not in the habit of offering up my lap as alternative seating, but last night a friend's wife decided to take a load off and rest on my "very comfortable" lap. I'm not at all bothered by the assumed familiarity (I've known her for a very long time) and thankfully she's not at all gargantuan. She wasn't barcalounging on me for too long, but I get nervous because I have no idea how much weight my legs can support.
    Maybe a robust goosing was in order!

I've got a problem with someone in my lap too. It's not my body, but I'm afraid his weight might overload the chair. He really doesn't understand why I keep telling him he can't sit in his happy place when I am in the wheelchair when it is ok when I sit in a regular chair.

Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

You could try talking to her while she's on your lap, and see what pops up.

Seriously, though, I don't know what to tell you. I do feel the same way. I used to always want my wife to sit on my lap, but now, not so much. I think as we get older in our SCI years, we become more aware of possible potential issues.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I think about that as well but haven't had any problems with it. The heaviest was a girlfriend at about 175.
    Andrew

I did meet an SCI para many years ago at a sexuality/disability program who did get a fracture when his wife was trying to do a little more than just sit on his lap. So it can happen. I believe it is wise to err on the safe side. Once the kids are up to 25-30 lbs., I decline giving them a lap ride. I have given a couple bigger kids piggyback rides for short differences.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I won't allow people on my lap because it's not worth a fracture that won't heal. I was too inebrited at the last work Christmas party and had 2 muscle-bound guys over 6' sitting on me ... cracked my chair ... still waiting for the replacement frame,
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post

Some asses are worth the risk.

FO says it best.

If you don't want someone sitting on your lap tell them that one of the welds on your chair has started cracking. You are due to get it fixed, but this chair could go at any moment......