Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Force R

I just tried out a RX today down at Bike-On, it was a humbling experience to say the least. Not easy for me to get on and off as you're basically best off just getting on the ground first then slide the left let onto the bike and then push up, getting off it's a ground to chair transfer, forget about trying to go from the bike to the chair if your a t-4 complete like me. Maybe this is not the bike for me after all, I suppose with a bath tub lift it would make things more easy, they had one there but the battery was too low to use it. The bike needed a lot of adjustment for me which I did not have the time to do, like the legs, crank, etc. But I got a basic feel for the bike and yes I can tell it's fast once your on it. I know if everything was ajusted properly for me and I trained some on it, I'd shave many minutes off marathon times. I guess what I need is a good strong girlfriend or something to help me with these sort of things at this point (I'm 55 and getting older, lol) plus the girl could help me with the sailing stuff too, not easy trying to set up my boat alone anymore. Even lifting my legs into the foot rests was a chore, thankfully there was a guy there to help me, otherwise no way in heck was doing it alone. He was nice enough to change out the footrests for me too as the ones that were on the bike where way too narrow and I have wide big feet. I think john is right though that I would need the 62 inch frame, the 60 inch and 16 inch wide seat seemed a little too tight, it would be nicer to have a bit more room on the handcycle.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I went from a Force G to the R and I will be 50 this August but I do all of it myself. My legs are heavy dead weight so once I get them up on the feet holders i made a long stick(pvc pipe) with a rope loop tied through a hole I drilled on the end to get my feet down in the holders. It also works the opposite to get them out.
    My speed is up about 4-5miles an hr faster on average than my G. I passed a Tractor on a flat road and looked down and I was doing 18.5.
    It took a few times to get down the Transfer in and out but its pretty easy now.
    I really am glad I got the R im sure I would like the RX but I will never be a Paralympian so this will be just fine.

I know everyone is different, but my wife and I are both t 4/5 complete. I ride R she has RX. We have no problem going from chair to bike and bike to chair. Ash had a hard time at first, but after a year of riding she hops up and down with no problem. I never really had an issue with the transfer, but I'm pretty used to floor to chair transfers so no big deal. We are small framed though. I'm around 140lbs and she's <100 so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jheath View Post
    I know everyone is different, but my wife and I are both t 4/5 complete. I ride R she has RX. We have no problem going from chair to bike and bike to chair. Ash had a hard time at first, but after a year of riding she hops up and down with no problem. I never really had an issue with the transfer, but I'm pretty used to floor to chair transfers so no big deal. We are small framed though. I'm around 140lbs and she's <100 so I'm sure that makes a difference.
    Ya, that really helps out being light. I'm 6-2 and around 230 lbs. If I do get either a R or a RX force I think it's gonna have to be the larger 62 inch frame and maybe like a 17 inch seat. Its gonna be more work getting on and off than what I'm use to but the payback is I will be much faster on the bike. For now I think I'm going to play around some with the recline back rest on my Freedom Ryder FHR and try and ride it with that for my upcoming marathon.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    The immediate question I want to ask.... Has anyone found there RX to have an abnormal amount of flex? I had a riding buddy yesterday and asked him to watch the neck and other areas at the front of the bike while I accelerated hard and when I climbed a hill and he couldn't believe it! To early to say and I might just need to bring it home and make a full inspection to find if something is loose. I can visibly see and feel much flex, anyone got any input or suggestions?

I've also been wondering about a potential flex issue. I was borrowing a friend's Force X for about a month or so. During that time, I rode with a couple guys that have brand new RXs. It seemed like the RXs had more flex than the X I was on (mostly coming from the front half of the bike.) I think the Force R and Force X just have a little more material in the area that joins the frame to the fork. I have a Schmicking longseat bike, and it has a LOT of reinforcement in that area. Of course, it's heavier. However, it has virtually no flex anywhere.
    Next month, I will be receiving a new RX. I know that I'll be faster on it, but I am wondering what sort of fatigue life it will have. Aluminum doesn't like to flex. When it does, it is simply a matter of time before it fails. I may have to look into breaking out the TIG welder and adding some gussets!

From what I have heard there was to be no "Flex" but I am by far no expert in this area. I would either get with Ken@bike-on.com or John@bike-on.com and talk with them about it. I haven't noticed anything on my R while climbing hills and I have some pretty large hills here in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Ya, that really helps out being light. I'm 6-2 and around 230 lbs. If I do get either a R or a RX force I think it's gonna have to be the larger 62 inch frame and maybe like a 17 inch seat. Its gonna be more work getting on and off than what I'm use to but the payback is I will be much faster on the bike. For now I think I'm going to play around some with the recline back rest on my Freedom Ryder FHR and try and ride it with that for my upcoming marathon.
    we are about the same size curt im 6'2 215 ish. 17 is perfect, for sure 62.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post
    I've also been wondering about a potential flex issue. I was borrowing a friend's Force X for about a month or so. During that time, I rode with a couple guys that have brand new RXs. It seemed like the RXs had more flex than the X I was on (mostly coming from the front half of the bike.) I think the Force R and Force X just have a little more material in the area that joins the frame to the fork. I have a Schmicking longseat bike, and it has a LOT of reinforcement in that area. Of course, it's heavier. However, it has virtually no flex anywhere.
    Next month, I will be receiving a new RX. I know that I'll be faster on it, but I am wondering what sort of fatigue life it will have. Aluminum doesn't like to flex. When it does, it is simply a matter of time before it fails. I may have to look into breaking out the TIG welder and adding some gussets!
    no flex in my rx. key is getting welded neck not telescoping option. makes it trickier to spec but no biggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
    From what I have heard there was to be no "Flex" but I am by far no expert in this area. I would either get with Ken@bike-on.com or John@bike-on.com and talk with them about it. I haven't noticed anything on my R while climbing hills and I have some pretty large hills here in Oregon.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm a T4 complete and have no problems transferring directly on and off the RX from my chair. Getting my feet up into the rests is an issue though. I plan on building some type of device to help that. I'm about 170lbs and don't notice excessive flex.
    T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

gmorris
    I took a pvc pipe drilled a hole in one end and looped a small rope through and tied it off. It has to fit the top half of your shoe though. once you get your foot up on the foot rest loop the top part of the foot and guide into place. Just the opposite getting them out.
    My legs are heavy dead weight they are the same size no atrophy due to only nerve damage from being ran over .
    might try it