Thread: Questions for Dr. Young

Questions for Dr. Young

Dr. Wise,

I am a paramedic, with over 20 years working in Trauma. I have followed your work for years, and am a strong believer in Solu-Medrol administration for acute spinal cord injury. However, as you know there are several trauma physicians who do not believe in this treatment.

I wanted to know your opinions on permissive hypothermia in the suspected isolated Spinal Cord Injury. Also, there is some growing emphasis in the Southeastern US for splinting cervical injuries in position of injury, unless there is an immediate life threat that requires cervical manipulation. Just wondering what your thoughts on these topics are.

Thank you for your time and effort in this response.

Thanks for what you do RM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMedic View Post
    Dr. Wise,

I am a paramedic, with over 20 years working in Trauma. I have followed your work for years, and am a strong believer in Solu-Medrol administration for acute spinal cord injury. However, as you know there are several trauma physicians who do not believe in this treatment.

I wanted to know your opinions on permissive hypothermia in the suspected isolated Spinal Cord Injury. Also, there is some growing emphasis in the Southeastern US for splinting cervical injuries in position of injury, unless there is an immediate life threat that requires cervical manipulation. Just wondering what your thoughts on these topics are.

Thank you for your time and effort in this response.
    Road Medic, thanks. I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "permissive hypothermia". However, there has not been any controlled clinical trial evidence that indicates significant benefit of hypothermia for acute spinal cord injury.

Regarding what position cervical spines should be "splinted" into, I think that the best practice is to immobilize in place. The reason is that you don't want to move the spine into extension without x-ray visualization in the field. I think that I agree with that approach.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Road Medic, thanks. I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "permissive hypothermia". However, there has not been any controlled clinical trial evidence that indicates significant benefit of hypothermia for acute spinal cord injury.

Wise.
    Miami has begun enrolling but I think the reality is they have trial approval but have not used hypothermia on any, many or enough to have data.
    http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/page.aspx?pid=339

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Miami has begun enrolling but I think the reality is they have trial approval but have not used hypothermia on any, many or enough to have data.
    http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/page.aspx?pid=339
    Yes, there is a real need for such a trial. Wise.

Dr Wise
    Will the Kumming results at stage two be published for scientific critical review.
    Your claims of results that ASIA A patients obtaining walking is exciting however there are so many unanswered questions.
    Can it be proved that this small cohort of patients could not obtain walking status without Cell intervention? I believe that if independent critical reviews such as the likes of Dr Arnin Curt could confirm this, investor funding and interest would spike.

I assume these trial results are assessing cell safety and efficacy.