Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Icon (pictures)

@jschism - I sent you an email a couple weeks ago about a refurb - if you're interested, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    @jschism - I sent you an email a couple weeks ago about a refurb - if you're interested, let me know.
    Jeff's customer service is amazing. I bought a used Icon, which unknown to me was an older model. He was all over getting me updated parts for my chair and did it without me asking.

Jeff started supplying the caps late last year - my first Icon (July) didn't have one, but the rebuild did. It takes the brunt of the drop onto the pavement when I unload the chair from the car. It also keeps dirt from getting into the center post.

Shouldn't those clams for the anti-tip arms be under the axle? Doesn't look like it allows for much suspension travel. Or does it just look that way in the pic?

http://s23.postimg.org/an1aqeinf/IMG_0089.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post
    Shouldn't those clams for the anti-tip arms be under the axle? Doesn't look like it allows for much suspension travel. Or does it just look that way in the pic?

You can't rotate them due to the configuration of the icon beneath the axle (I know, we tried!). Doesn't affect the suspension travel for my son, but I agree that the photo above looks like there isn't much clearance.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by juggular View Post

Thanks for pointing that out. I measured my setup and, due to the angle the anti-tip clamps are positioned, I only have 9mm clearance to the seat pan. When I looked, I had a very small amount of wear on the seat pan where the clamps would impact.

Since I am not currently using the anti-tips, I will rotate the clamps to face to the rear to provide more clearance. (I am practicing my wheelies and steps with a sumo been bag turned dog bed right behind me for the many falls I am taking.)

Gordy is right that I can't rotate the clamps underneath the axle - there is a small lip on the inner diameter of the outside part of the clamp that prevents reversing the clamps so that the "loop" leans to the outside and allow the clamp to be positioned under the axle without interfering with the camber lever.

I am have let Jeff Adams know about this. Remember to give feedback to manufactures, it is often the only way they learn about new problems or new creative solutions.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I sure am glad to see more folks using and enjoying their Icons.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I only have 9mm clearance to the seat pan. When I looked, I had a very small amount of wear on the seat pan where the clamps would impact.
    Ouch, that is not enough travel, IMO! The DT Swiss air shock riding under my Marvel M1 has over 3x that stroke length and I would assume as much of whatever is suspending the A1 also. I also use some of that travel with a bit of sag, so it has some head room for rebound.

I am have let Jeff Adams know about this. Remember to give feedback to manufactures, it is often the only way they learn about new problems or new creative solutions.
    To this day I still think he and Mr. Bagg's "M2" (had they they opportunity to have made one) would have been better than either their M1 or current A1. Just my opinion, of course! Their commitment to wheeling evolution is second to none.

(I've been a big fan of their concept and designs for a while. I have a love hate relationship with mine. I love it as an elegant, sweetly engineered...almost work of art. Being wrapped in CF and sitting on air is a nice place to be, all else considered. The rotational articulation of the front end, with it's internal bushing, is a novel addition to the wheelchair world, too!

)

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Having to work around our own patents on the M1 was an interesting exercise, and hopefully we'll continue to improve.

Hopefully the recent evidence of me doing complimentary upgrades and refurbs to early models is an example of our commitment to stand behind our early efforts, and to make sure that nobody who is an early adopter is left with parts that improve over time.

The clearance issue is an error that we made. When we were designing it, we had to consider the seat width range, camber that affects the axle brackets, wheel sizes and the way their dished, etc. When the chair was drawn in CAD and we did a design review, we didn't notice the clearance issue that would happen with extremely low seat heights or extreme seat angle.

To be totally honest, we made the short axle brackets a little too short. When we do our next run (given our sales volumes, should be sometime in the middle of the summer), we'll make a design change to make them long enough for the anti-tip brackets to be rotated underneath the chair. We're also working on a new anti-tip mechanism that won't use the current brackets, but comes off the seat tube instead.

Once we have new short axle brackets, we'll swap out parts for anyone who is running into clearance issues.

I might have that issue Jeff being that I am such a short guy. My issue thou is that I will have adi brakes installed. Maybe this won't be an issue! I'll see when I mess around with my chair when I get it. Thanks ismaisin for the write up. And always thanks Jeff for the quick response. Any plans about offering a tubular foot rest for the icon Jeff?
    Last edited by randomryan007; 05-03-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    My issue thou is that I will have adi brakes installed. Maybe this won't be an issue!
    By looking at this Icon done up with ADI equipment I don't think the brakes will be an issue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adiride...th/6810374018/