Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Icon (pictures)

My new Icon (pictures)

This chair is absolutely incredible. It has made the single largest improvement in my quality of life since my injury.

I am very grateful to the people here that steered me to such an adjustable chair as my first chair. I would never really have known what I wanted, what was comfortable for me without trying it out and making tiny little adjustments until it felt just right. This chair, the Icon, really is the only one that would have worked for me and I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to a first time user.

I was impressed with the quality. The highest out of tolerance drilled hole was a 0.5 mm asymmetry in the seat pan. I can not say enough about the outstanding customer service. Jeff Adams stayed in touch with me the whole time, from helping even before the order through every stem of the process. He responds to emails or phone calls within 24 hours every time. This is simply the best customer service I have ever received.

Even though it was a long process to get this through the VA, it was worth it, well worth it.

Basic setup:

Icon Wheelchair
    ADI Aluminum Deep Contour 13" Back
    Froglegs 4" Softroll Casters
    Supracore Stimulite Cushion (with the front pocket cut off)
    D's Locks
    Spinergy LX Wheels
    Schwalbe Kojak 50-559 Tires
    Goruck GR2 Field Pocket (attached to seat pan)

Weight without wheels or cushion: 23.4 lbs.
    Weight with all extras and empty pouch: 35 lbs.
    Width at widest point with 4˚ camber: 25.75"
    Front of footrest to back of tires: 35.75"
    Height of seat back: 36.5"
    Height of folded seat: 25.75"
    Outside diameter of tires: 26.25"

The first thing you notice is the tires. 50mm is a very wide tire, but it is easy for me to get around on the grass with the dogs. They are non-marking - I have deliberately skidded the wheels on a wood floor and they don't make any mark. The slick surface doesn't pick up anything but fine dust and dirt. The width of the tires gives me traction in sand. I don't know about ice, we only get 0.5" of snow per year around here.

My Godmother made the quilt for me when I was medivaced home. It is my lap quilt in cold weather.

The footplate is reversed from the normal setup. I have it set so that my heels catch the back of the plate in my most comfortable seating position. Reversing the footplate also gives me a little more width in the footrest for my calfs. I don't have the support tube touching the backs of my calfs at all.

The field pocket was easy to attach to the supports for the seat pan. I already had the bag and it works really well with the chair. There has been some discussion on another thread about putting a bag on top of the footrest support bracket, but this bag fits better higher up.

I haven't stitched up the cut I made in the front of the cushion to remove the pocket flap.

The height of the back is just under my shoulder blades. I have a long torso. Because of the thickness of the cushion, to get the most comfortable back support I had to drill a hole for the bottom bolt of the 2 point pro seat bracket.

Note the Field Pouch above the front wing.

I'm still experimenting to find the best angle for the front castors. I started with them far enough forward to protect the footrest when the chair was placed on it's front, but I had some clearance issues with table legs.

Note the bolts used for camber adjustment. Mine is set at 4˚. There are set positions for 0˚, 2˚, 4˚, and 6˚.

Above the red shock adjustment dial you can see the seat support. The field pouch is attached to the forward arms.

The axle clamps have (empty) clams for the anti-tip arms.

D's locks open position. The lever is only 3" behind top dead center of the wheel and very easy to reach for both my wife and me.

D's locks in locked position.

D's locks fully engaged. By placing the pins level with the axle, I do not have to adjust the pin when I adjust the camber. With the pins forward of the axle, they don't get in the way of any of the other adjustment bolts.

D's locks fully engaged.

Seat folded.

The deep back and positioning cushion keep me in place when I am limp after a seizure. I do get out of the chair onto the ground if I have a seizure aura, but post seizure I really can't do anything for a few hours. Someone has to push me. I don't have the push handles on in the picture, but the most comfortable position for my wife has the handles at the height of the top of the back so I can rotate them inwards when she isn't pushing me.

Push Handles in both positions. I can tighten the clamps to the point that the handles rotate but do not slide up or down.

Stowed in the back of a Jetta Sportwagon. I still have 5" of room. Note the wooden cane.

This is how I carry my travel cane.

So now that I have my basic setup, it's time for me to start customizing. I've some ideas and I'll post pictures when I've made them.

I may put some non-skid tape over the footplate. If I do, I'll cut out the tape so the logo shows. I have no problem advertising Icon.

Now that I've put larger tires on, I really need to make some new side guards.

I will almost certainly build a set of wheels. I'm thinking about using Velocity Blunt 35s as a base. If I drill it myself and use Rivnuts, I won't have to take off the tires and rim tape to adjust the spokes. I already replaced the cheep plastic rim tape that came with the Spinergy wheels with some good high pressure Schwalbe cloth rim tape that I had lying around when I switched the tabs from the short hole to the long hole.

I'd really like to find some extra long tab push rims. If anyone knows where I can get a pair with 2" or even 2.5" tabs instead of the 1.5" standard long tab. I'd like to coxcomb the push rims. It shouldn't really be any different than doing a ship's wheel, which I've done. It was always fun showing up the Bos'uns mates with fancy work.

I'm using my old biking gloves for the summer. When it gets colder I'll switch to my old sailing gloves. Both have just the right amount of padding for someone with full hand function, and mine are very well broken in.
    Last edited by IsMaisin; 05-02-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Clarity, Picture of Push Handles
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Awesome looking chair! I really enjoyed the pics and reading about your new chairs. Very good pics

!! Exceptional !!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

My wife had Jetta DSI Sportwagon it was great for me to transfer to and from with the seats being able to be jacked up or down but she got a bad tank of diesel and it took out about 4 k worth of emission control equipment so she traded it off for a Subaru which is nowhere near as nice as her Jetta

Just an FYI on the Stimulite cushion pocket - you can specify no pocket when ordering. No additional time, no upcharge.

Good looking chair.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Awesome write up, congrats!

Nice chair and enjoyed learning from your pictures and comments about it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Welcome to the Icon club!

Interesting to see that you have a cap on the base of the central tubular, as that didn't come with my son's chair. Probably keeps some dirt out of there...a good thing, although its not been a major problem for us.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Welcome to the Icon club!

Interesting to see that you have a cap on the base of the central tubular, as that didn't come with my son's chair. Probably keeps some dirt out of there...a good thing, although its not been a major problem for us.
    hte cap would be nice if it also acted as a bumber on the bottom of the tube for those who take the wheels off to load in vehicle. I tried to make one but it didn't last, I also don't have a cap being an early owner.