Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a good PC for graphics, layout software?

what's a good PC for graphics, layout software?

I'll need a new PC soon and am wondering if there are any recommendations out there. I currently have Adobe Creative Suite and use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign quite heavily. I'll need to stick with a PC since I can't reinvest in Mac versions of the software. PC needs to be fast, have good graphics display and able to handle many operations at once. Any suggestions?

Why not build what you want? It's fairly simple.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

yep, with FO, it will save you some money that you can spend on horsepower.........my laptop runs the i7 3610qm with 6gb ram and it will handle anything you can throw at it and I have yet to beef it up, will double the ram and up the speed and drop a ssd drive in, I have read that it just makes this processor scream, the reason why I bought it.......but building one is really the easiest thing you can do, if you can grip a screwdriver you can build a computer...........

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    yep, with FO, it will save you some money that you can spend on horsepower.........my laptop runs the i7 3610qm with 6gb ram and it will handle anything you can throw at it and I have yet to beef it up, will double the ram and up the speed and drop a ssd drive in, I have read that it just makes this processor scream, the reason why I bought it.......but building one is really the easiest thing you can do, if you can grip a screwdriver you can build a computer...........
    and even if you can't grip a screwdriver, you can guide a friend who can. Building a computer is so easy that even a fool doesn't have trouble assembling a high performance machine. Couple hours tops.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by truly View Post
    I'll need a new PC soon and am wondering if there are any recommendations out there. I currently have Adobe Creative Suite and use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign quite heavily. ... PC needs to be fast, have good graphics display and able to handle many operations at once. Any suggestions?
    Actually, the graphics chip doesn't make that much difference here. You need to beef up the amount of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Actually, the graphics chip doesn't make that much difference here. You need to beef up the amount of RAM.
    The I7 with the onboard HD Graphics 4000 does it all. The monitor(s) (which some call a display) is important. Prices have gone up a little recently, but RAM is still pretty cheap - cheap enough for a power user to max out popular priced boards.
    Foolish

In my opinion. No need for overkill. Many of the apps you list I believe only require an old Pentium 4 so a new simple low cost laptop (or desktop) i3 with 6meg memory would be far more power than you will actually need. You can purchase these from a chain store for very low cost, less cost than you can build one for. If you move to Adobe cloud services your PC requirements go down even more. All modern graphic cards produce very good results, unless your require something to display extremely fast action (gaming) the standard video chip set that comes with a modern PC would probably be very satisfying. Wise choice to stay away from the MAC.

I at times run some extreme Real Time applications with heavy math processing and as a FFT spectrum analyzer on an low cost i3 Laptop with NO problems. From the user perspective It performs no better than one of my high power i7 workstations.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
    Tim

Got to agree. Somethhing along the lines of http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+Pavil...99202500050004

from bestbuy should suffice. Cost about $600 with shipping.

We build our own PC's for our office but the first few had a few issues so if you go that route check with someone who has had some experience.
    For me the monitor is #1 for $ spent especially if you're a heavy user. I like the better Samsung 27" LEDs. I found going bigger is not cost efficient and the larger monitors put out a lot of heat.
    Speaking of heat, consider cooling and the associated noise factor that comes with that. I like a quiet PC but need to deal with cooling so liquid cooling works for me. You may be able to get by with fans but consider checking out how loud the system is before purchase.
    Next I would think you'd want a good graphics card. Here again consider the heat/noise issue. There are good quiet cards out there now.
    Footprint (size) of the machine may also dictate the PC/build you go with.
    Most operating systems are 64 bit nowadays. If you have older software you may have some issues running it but there is usually a work around.
    You might want to also think of you storage requirements (hard drives). Heavy graphics users usually need lots (which means a couple of large regular HDs) but consider using an SSD for at least the operating and processing part of your system. The speed gains are significant.
    RAM and a better CPU are fairly basic but cooling can be an issue with the higher end models.
    Then there are all the bell and whistles, like hot swapable HDs, LED light display, sound cards but now we're entering geekdom.

I run Adobe CS, do audio and video editing, and other CPU intensive apps on my three year old Dell Studio laptop with an i7 chip set, 8MB memory, and Windows 7. Works just fine.

Check on Amazon for prices. Windows 8 is still not widly used, but it might be what comes installed.

Too bad you can't afford a Mac. The layout designer for the magazine I work for uses the Adobe products and he swares by his Mac.