Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    I have never heard him make that claim.
    He does. He had an incomplete injury.

Fast forward to 3:30: "Long story short, I got myself back walking."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post

It must be difficult installing a scaffold in your own spinal cord?

Nevermind Frank Reynolds, the reason to be excited about Invivo is Dr Robert Langer. Dr Langer doesn't align himself with any project/research that doesn't have a high probability of success. Dr Langer also sits on the board of many companies. You never know, he may just be on the board of a company that has created a powerful Mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) that cured mice paralyzed w/ms in JUST ONE WEEK, you never know. I can see Invivo collabarating with Stem Cells Inc, Neuralstem, Inc, Stemcyte, etc..............they have the scaffolding now just add some stem cells.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    It must be difficult installing a scaffold in your own spinal cord?
    Frank's story:

Then, one day in 1995, Reynolds's wife brought home a VHS cassette of the movie Lorenzo's Oil. The film is about a couple that defy the medical establishment to discover a cure for their son's rare illness, and for Reynolds, it sparked an epiphany. "I thought, Jesus, I could do that," he says. And so began what Reynolds calls a "crusade" to regain the ability to walk. He set about learning everything he could about spinal cord injury, or SCI. Using a glacial early Internet connection, from his bed he tapped into the databases of university libraries; through supporters at St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia, where he had been studying for a master's degree before his accident, he secured interlibrary loans of hard-to-find medical publications.

Somewhere in those pages, Reynolds came across a theory -- a notion that has since gained credibility among many experts -- that by intensifying his physical rehab routine, he could reactivate dormant neural connections and make his spine come alive again. Instead of 45-minute sessions with a therapist three times a week, he began daily workouts that combined hours of aquatic therapy in a YMCA pool with as much time as he could handle on a treadmill. Supporting himself with his upper body, he grimaced through the pain and simply forced his legs to move. After three months, he could walk a quarter of a mile a day; after a year, he could manage five. He was now able to drive himself, using both feet. He removed his body cast and got ready to go back to work.

Complete article

He said he used local reorganization. The spinal cord has it's own brain and will reorganize itself if the spinal cord is healthy and has good tissue.
    He didn't inject himself with a poly scaffolding or anything like that...

If there was a chronic study published, it should have been on the InVivo site but none exist on the research publish list.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 05-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.

incomplete injury with enough good connections left to make it work. Great for him not so great for people not as lucky with more complete injuries. Still I hope that his company helps people get out of chairs
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Well dang. Quite a story.
    Last edited by c473s; 05-02-2013 at 06:00 AM.

It's nutty that a guy who so readily perpetuates the "hard work is the cure for paralysis" myth is somehow a leader in the hunt for a scaffold-based cure. Shouldn't a bibliography of the books and websites he read be adequate to get us up and running? I know that would be tough to monetize, but I hope that at the very least Invivo's treatment combines the scaffold with a "Clockwork Orange"-style forced exposure to the wisdom contained in the Protocols of the Elders of Reynolds.

In the first video about 5:40 he talks about great results in chronic injured monkeys. Can someone back that up or is he making assumptions based on the acute one?
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.