Thread: Doing report on accessibility of travel services

Doing report on accessibility of travel services

I am trying to learn about the accessibility of travel services and the travel industry as a whole. I am curious about common hindrances encountered at hotels, airports, tourist destinations, public attractions, rental car companies, etc.. Also, what reliable methods exist to determine the accessibility and accommodations of places visited, hotels, airports, rental car companies? I would be more than happy also to have a one-on-one conversation with anyone interested in sharing their knowledge. Thanks very much for the input!

search function is your slave

Quote Originally Posted by ben.weiner9 View Post
    I am trying to learn about the accessibility of travel services and the travel industry as a whole. I am curious about common hindrances encountered at hotels, airports, tourist destinations, public attractions, rental car companies, etc.. Also, what reliable methods exist to determine the accessibility and accommodations of places visited, hotels, airports, rental car companies? I would be more than happy also to have a one-on-one conversation with anyone interested in sharing their knowledge. Thanks very much for the input!
    Have you ever heard of the ADA? (Americans with Disabilities Act)

They do have a web site http://www.ada.gov/

You will find the answers to all of your questions there.

A rather broad question .....
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

The ADA will to tell you what is required, but only in the US..travel generally is open..and the resources are lacking./fragmented and not consistent.

YOu may show up to a accessible room and find the bed too high...to transfer, or the toilet or shower bench TOO low.

Free shuttles are not accessible.

And really important!...is the location of the room. Always the worst floor, view ect in the property! They should be required to illustrate how shitty the location of the ADA room is..it is depressing.

I recently went to Naples..and 2 times was told the room was "Marina View" suite...well..nope! It ADA room had a damn canal view looking over some homes..urg. I am just used to it..sad for my husband though. As he hates those interconnecting doors..and they also should be noted in room description! Why do they think we all need an interconnecting door??!!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    The ADA will to tell you what is required, but only in the US..travel generally is open..and the resources are lacking./fragmented and not consistent.
    True enough, but it would be a good place to start.

I'm on a campaign to educate hotels that those new pillow-top mattress are way too high! I was in a Marriott recently and asked them to remove the risers under my 36 inch high bed in my "accessible" room. They adjusted it so it was almost even with my w/c.

Yes general question...

I know, that was a very general question. I have looked at several sites(ADA included), and have found some case studies and general information from blogs and forums. I am just starting my work so am trying to narrow down my scope and figure out the overlying problems through these studies and personal accounts. With services more commonly used, like hotels, airports and airplanes, rental cars, along with tourist destinations and public attractions accessibility, I hope all this input can positively influence and help change the industry. I do apologize for unintended initial ignorance, and am appreciative of the replies.

Talk to John Sage at Sage Traveling. He is a para and now runs his own travel business. He personally checks out many of the travel arrangements before he recommends them. This includes accessible tours, attractions, transportation, hotels, etc. Mostly in Europe.

http://sagetraveling.com/

Full disclosure: I am using Sage for a trip to Europe I am planning. There are also a number of other excellent accessible travel agencies.