Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AZ rec?

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    Actually, any person can join. The facility was built to be universally accessible.

SpoFit handbook.
    In the handbook, I see "Membership eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis." According to the brochure and what I was told by front desk staff, it's just people with disabilities and their families. I had a fairly lively discussion with someone there about whether this was discrimination or not. Her point was that it's a limited resource, and there are many more city recreation facilities for the able-bodied.

I guess the way to find out is to be an able-bodied person and try to join!

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    In the handbook, I see "Membership eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis." According to the brochure and what I was told by front desk staff, it's just people with disabilities and their families. I had a fairly lively discussion with someone there about whether this was discrimination or not. Her point was that it's a limited resource, and there are many more city recreation facilities for the able-bodied.

I guess the way to find out is to be an able-bodied person and try to join!
    I promise you as Chair of the Phoenix Mayor's Commission on Disability Issues among other things, I am well-versed on this issue.

What the front desk person told you is one thing and appears to need some retraining. The application of "membership on a case by case basis" is not to screen out able body users.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen View Post
    I promise you as Chair of the Phoenix Mayor's Commission on Disability Issues among other things, I am well-versed on this issue.

Peace!

As an ordinary citizen who is not on the Phoenix Mayor's Commission on Disability Issues, I can only go by what I've been told, have read in publicly available documents, and have personally experienced.

Knowing this place exists along with the close proximity of the airport AND the grandparents near makes ASU one of our daughter's top choices for college. She is a sophomore in high school right now and we plan to visit in the fall. Our first plane trip I might add....

The place looks great and is very similar to our Courage Center, but Courage Center is much older.

Thanks JenJen and all. Do you have a contact person? I'd like to see if we can get a facility like that in Long Beach, NY since we were destroyed and to rebuild for ALL. Thanks.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Thanks JenJen and all. Do you have a contact person? I'd like to see if we can get a facility like that in Long Beach, NY since we were destroyed and to rebuild for ALL. Thanks.

Sure, I'll send you some info for key contacts on the project. Best way to reach me Liz is thru facebook. Don't spend time here like I once did.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.