Thread: bearings when switching casters

bearings when switching casters

OK, so after a lot of research on here, I've decided I want to get some froglegs softroll casters. I've checked and double checked the fork width, height, and footrest and other clearances and am satisifed about all that. The only thing left for me to worry over is the bearings.

My chair is a Zra one, with 4x1 Tisport softroll 2 piece billet casters. I'd seen something on here about the bearing size on Ti casters being different, so I wanted to know if the caster axles on my chair would acommodate a Frogleg's caster and bearing size. I'm hoping somebody here will be able to explain the deal with the bearing sizes.

Thanks!

I believe (but not sure) that the caster bearings are very different with a ZRA1 and ZRA2. Check the TiLite Parts Store and look at the different CAD drawings.

If you are ordering through an online company like Sportaid or BikeOn, I would recommend that you talk with them about this. These are the kind of things that are very difficult without some guidance, and what makes their job so difficult.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Bearings are all labeled. Remove a caster and read a seal (you may need a magnifying glass). It will say either 608 or R6 somewhere (the two bearing sizes TiLite uses in their casters: 608 in original, and R6 in the newer (LiteSpeed) casters. These are sizing codes. The code will be longer (e.g., 608-2RS, R6ZZ), but the remaining characters mean other things.

Here's a pic of some bearings. I can't read the labeling, but I can see it on both the red and black seals.

Attachment 49643
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-29-2013 at 10:03 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You're going to like the new Frogleg casters. I got them on my chair and they do a fine job at smoothing out the bumps. You won't notice much difference at slow speeds but when I'm darting around I can hit a bump like the metal strip between a tile floor and carpeting and go over it like it's not there. Sorry I can't help with the size, I have a different chair and it's been years since I installed them.

Just to make it clear I'm talking about the Frogleg forks. I use regular 5 inch casters.
    Last edited by Tall Paul; 04-30-2013 at 03:28 AM.
    Just another tricky day. C5/6 incomplete, 43 years out.

You'll get through.

Hi Voxina,
    unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the main problem in your retrofit (could be the same as mine: I also have a ZRA1) will not be the bearings size.
    It depends where you want to buy your stuff. If it's from TiLite, I think (I hope) all will be OK.
    If it's from a shop like Sportaid or other, and if I don't make a mistake, you may have a problem, because they sell their Froglegs forks without the axle, or with the axle fixed/bolted ON THE FORK. It means that the axle will turn WITH the fork, am I clear ?
    BUT if you have a look at your ZRA1, or more accurately at the TiLite specs, you will see that the mount, on our chairs, is exacty the opposite. The axle doesn't turn ! it comes fixed with the adjustable bracket, and doesn't move at all when the fork is turning… whatever the bearings.
    I'm afraid the only solution there, is to order ALL THE PARTS from TiLite: The forks (with their own bearings, so you don't have to care about that) and the Froglegs mounting brackets on the chair, they seem to be specific ones.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

Sorry, to be clear, I meant casters, not forks. Just the caster wheels.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

oh sorry for that mistake, Voxina ! too much drugs every morning, I suppose…
    I ordered my ZRA with 1" poly casters, and changed them for 1" 1/4 poly froglegs, without any problem… bearings are the same size : 608 ZZ metric, and the axles fit perfectly... hope this helps.
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.