Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Ikea make accessible kitchens?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Also check out Houzz.com
    Thanks, that was nice. I'll keep checking them. Some people have some really nice homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Monoski View Post
    Remember doing significant adaptations to your kitchen/home can have a dramatic negative impact on resale value.
    Accesible housing can have a negative impact on the worth of your home to an AB family, but specifically marketing it to anyone who needs the adaptations will let you keep the value. Make sure a realtor puts "accessible" in the headline of the house description. A lot of people who need adaptive homes have a very hard time finding them and they usually factor the price of making adaptive changes into their purchase budget. I expect that it would take longer to sell, though.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I have a beautiful roll under sink with storage now. We went with a custom cabinet builder because custom also meant fewer cabinets and work arounds on installation. http://www.dcinteriorsllc.com/portfolio.html The 2nd and 3rd pics in the 4th row is ours. Click on the pics for a better look but bad angle to see my roll under. The spouse's vanity around the corner has a full undersink cabinet but nothing reaches the floor so cleaning is easy too. We had these made in bamboo and it comes in several finishes. The company that made our minimalist cabinets actually does more in the heavy stuff but has real pros doing the work. http://www.platowoodwork.com/index.html

And even the IRS has recognized that most access renovations do not add to the value of homes on resale. When we redid our first place we kept records to the penny for resell purposes and taxes. After reading the tax code when we bought and renovated it they were needed. Now, we kept an itemized list but doubt it will be needed. Oh, our last kitchen we did up in Kitchenaid cabinets. I loved them! When we decide to redo the kitchen or guest bathroom we'll be looking at those first. An entire kitchen of Plato would break the bank.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Sue, thanks for the tip and the photos.

You can find local cabinet makers that will work with you too. Something I was against and the contractor/designer talked us into was undermounting the sinks.They look great and less water rolls down my elbows. We're fans now. And those pictures were staged to use at a NARI show out here. I mean a rug in a bathroom for a wheeler? Yea, no! Same with plants. My husband kills them as a hobby.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.