Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Belly Bags

Belly Bags

I will be in Kansas doing research this summer (my first job since being injured 5.5 years ago, hooray!), and have been told I should bring shorts as it gets very hot there. I have not worn shorts since my injury, nor have I ever used a belly bag (I have a suprapubic catheter), and am wondering if people prefer them to leg bags or if they come with complications. It seems to me like there would be an issue with kinking/leaking, since the drainage system is not below the suprapubic site. I called Rusch and my insurance does not cover them, and they seem to be a bit pricey, so I just wanted to get some feedback before making the purchase. Also, where is the best, most affordable place to get them?
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

What type of research-I assume if you are asking about shorts it is outside? I almost never wear shorts myself. I tend to stick to capri's unless it is a sport in which case I wear long basketball type shorts or cargos.

I have no input for the cath question.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

I have a sp cath and I've used belly bags. I have never had a problem with any of the tubing kinking or leak. I personally like them because they are discreet, especially with shorts, and they are easier for me to empty. I just unclip the belt put the bag over a toilet and open the valve.

They are priced a little on the high side and I have had to pay for them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    I have a sp cath and I've used belly bags. I have never had a problem with any of the tubing kinking or leak. I personally like them because they are discreet, especially with shorts, and they are easier for me to empty. I just unclip the belt put the bag over a toilet and open the valve.

They are priced a little on the high side and I have had to pay for them myself.
    Do you order them online? From where? I cannot find a local pharmacy that even carries them, and am searching for the best price. Thanks!

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416 View Post
    What type of research-I assume if you are asking about shorts it is outside? I almost never wear shorts myself. I tend to stick to capri's unless it is a sport in which case I wear long basketball type shorts or cargos.

I have no input for the cath question.
    I will be doing biological field research - climbing trees, collecting tardigrades (I'd never even heard them, but you should Google them - they're fascinating!), and studying them in the lab (they're microscopic). Seems a bit strange to be leaving Maine to climb trees in Kansas, but it will be fun to see someplace new. Will also be studying other insects, what they eat, etc. It's only a summer internship, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm even looking forward to the flight, because I've never flown before! The National Science Foundation is funding the research project, and is paying for my flight to and from, my on-campus housing, and the internship itself is paid. There are only 8 students, including myself (even though I'm not a student, and was surprised they even accepted me), so with such a small group I'm hoping to really learn a lot and get lots of hands-on experience.

I'd go with khaki pants instead of shorts. Light weight cotton will protect you from the sun and keep you cool. Big hat and remember DEED is your friend. I thought they only had one tree in Kansas and it was in a museum?

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I'd go with khaki pants instead of shorts. Light weight cotton will protect you from the sun and keep you cool. Big hat and remember DEED is your friend. I thought they only had one tree in Kansas and it was in a museum?
    I know! When I saw the opportunity, I thought to myself, "Wait... Kansas has trees?" Thanks so much for the suggestions - very much appreciated.

Kathy Repetto at Rusch recommends www.healthykin.com for buying medical supplies, as she says they are usually the most reasonably priced. They are back-ordered on belly bags at the moment, but will be getting more in the first week or two of May. After reading other posts on this site, I think I will give one a try. Thanks for the feedback!

I get mine at Allegro Medical.

Quote Originally Posted by StarLord View Post
    I get mine at Allegro Medical.
    Thank you.