Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any Quads Using Manual Chair Full Time?

c4/5 fuct c6 no tri's always manual chair 28 yrs post sci. pull in/out of car daily. never used any power.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am a c-7 complete and used a manual chair exclusively for about 50 years. That was too long because I totally destroyed my shoulders and am now paying for it with shoulder pain. I went to a power assist which was a godsend. However the chair manufacturer stopped making the chair (iGlide), which was the best assist available to date. I had to go to a full power chair. With regard to today's power assists, try before you buy. I did not find them helpful. I am now using a Permobil M300. It is a mid-wheel drive power chair and quite maneuverable. I have not found any accessibility problems with it. The seat is actually .5" lower than my manual and the width is about 25".
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Banned
    I am a new C5 Quad. I was using a power chair while I was an inpatient. I am using a manual chair full time now. I feel like if I stay in power chair my body will turn into a sloppy mess. Itdoes feel like an accomplishment when you get some exercise. I have been looking at the power assist by max mobility. It looked amazing, to bad its six thousand dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by quad_girl View Post
    I like the idea of using a manual chair because it would force me to use my upper body more so that I actually get a bit of a work out.
    Without knowing your age or location I will still extoll the benefits of quad rugby. Great outlet for some physical fitness, pushing a rugby chair in a gym is nothing like the punishment of using a manual day chair. I know plenty of quads your level who used rugby as the gateway between powerchair to manual chair. I used to be anti-power but now view it as a tool... don't be so quick to feel you have to go manual. As others have said, power assist technology definitely leaves a lot to be desired at this point. I would look into possibly changing your seating (shorter cushion, lowering seatbase, etc) to fit under tables. Maybe find a place to use a armbike for some exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
    I am a new C5 Quad. I was using a power chair while I was an inpatient. I am using a manual chair full time now. I feel like if I stay in power chair my body will turn into a sloppy mess. Itdoes feel like an accomplishment when you get some exercise. I have been looking at the power assist by max mobility. It looked amazing, to bad its six thousand dollars.
    As a firm believer in getting people active as soon as possible after injury I would recommend looking into rugby for you as well Pete. Check out the team in DC - here's a link - http://www.nrhrehab.org/Patient+Care...y/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Without knowing your age or location I will still extoll the benefits of quad rugby. Great outlet for some physical fitness, pushing a rugby chair in a gym is nothing like the punishment of using a manual day chair. I know plenty of quads your level who used rugby as the gateway between powerchair to manual chair. I used to be anti-power but now view it as a tool... don't be so quick to feel you have to go manual. As others have said, power assist technology definitely leaves a lot to be desired at this point. I would look into possibly changing your seating (shorter cushion, lowering seatbase, etc) to fit under tables. Maybe find a place to use a armbike for some exercise?
    I'm 26 and I live on PEI! We don't have much for wheelchair sports here, since the population of chair users is small. We don't have any wheelchair friendly gym equipment like an arm bike, either. :/

I don't feel like I have to go manual, but I like the idea of it much more than my power chair.

I've been in my old manual chair for two days pushing around my apartment and I feel less 'disabled' if that makes sense.

My injury level is C5-6, I have never used a power chair or power assist. I wish I used better judgement and better chairs through the years as I also have shoulder issues. (That shouldn't scare you from using a manual chair, as it took 30 years to have issues and that with chairs far from what I use today, which is a TiLite TR3.) I highly recommend the use of projection knob handrims, as these will help you a lot with your level injury. Also, a good setup will pay big dividends in you ability to use the chair; there are many very good people here that can help with that.

I just went out on the deck and shot a couple videos and while not great, maybe they will help show projection handrims in use. (I should have changed shirts or put on a short sleeve shirt, as my sleeves kept getting in the way.)

C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    My injury level is C5-6, I have never used a power chair or power assist. I wish I used better judgement and better chairs through the years as I also have shoulder issues. (That shouldn't scare you from using a manual chair, as it took 30 years to have issues and that with chairs far from what I use today, which is a TiLite TR3.) I highly recommend the use of projection knob handrims, as these will help you a lot with your level injury. Also, a good setup will pay big dividends in you ability to use the chair; there are many very good people here that can help with that.

I just went out on the deck and shot a couple videos and while not great, maybe they will help show projection handrims in use. (I should have changed shirts or put on a short sleeve shirt, as my sleeves kept getting in the way.)

Oh! I like those! I might have to test those out perhaps. I suppose if I have a new chair that fits me perfectly, I might be able to push better than I think.

I don't have triceps, so I'm worried my arms won't be able to get strong enough to push w/o power assist.

C 5-6 incomplete since 1978. I have been using a manual chair with projection rims and roll-aids for my driveway and ADA compliant ramps. I am not to proud to accept help from others. I have developed shoulder problems. 3 years ago I purchased a powerchair I have used it less than 50 times. I bought emotion power assist wheels 9 months ago. They are great for outdoors, going across carpeting, etc. However very heavy. you add 50 exta pounds to the manual wheelchair. If your battery doesn't work it is a bear to push around even or level flat smooth surfaces. My friends hate having to lift them into their cars on the rare occasions when I need a ride.

My triceps haven't been checked in decades, but whenever they did they were always classified as a "trace".

The projection rims I use are custom made, I believe we have an old post on here about them. If you decide to order a set I can try and assist you with the order form.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    My triceps haven't been checked in decades, but whenever they did they were always classified as a "trace".

The projection rims I use are custom made, I believe we have an old post on here about them. If you decide to order a set I can try and assist you with the order form.
    Thank you! I'll definitely get in touch with you if I decide to get the manual chair!