Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any Quads Using Manual Chair Full Time?

I am a c5-6 complete quad and have been pushing my chair for the past twelve years. I feel like the key is to have foam coated push rims and a good pair of HATCH gloves. A few years ago I used a power assist. It was a next mobility tailwind. Great chair for when I wanted to go hang out in the park with the kids, yet still nothing like my manual chair. I heard that the tailwind was going to be re-tooled by another company. I would look into it. It’s a great chair for our level of injury! But if you want to push a manual chair Foam coated push rims and gloves are a must!

Quote Originally Posted by Boom84 View Post
    But if you want to push a manual chair Foam coated push rims and gloves are a must!
    ...for you.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by quad_girl View Post
    Wow your story makes me feel like such a lazy quad. I don't transfer myself and I have 22hr care in my own apartment.
    Everyone has a story and experiences that are specific to their particular functional ability and physical needs. "quad" is such a broad term covering such a wide range of physical abilities that it doesn't help to compare so generally with others, especially other "quads" who don't have the same injury and functional (dis)abilities as you.

A TRUE c5 complete is at very significant disadvantage (due to loss of wrist ) than other quads who are at levels c5/6 and lower, and a world of difference in function with anyone c6 on.

It's great that you are wanting to work on building your strength and overall conditioning by utilizing as much of your body as possible. Rather than comparing yourself to others, work from where you are, where your body is at, and go from there. Physical limitations do not equate to "lazy". Your physiology is what it is, so all you can do is do the best you can and work as hard as you're able. It may take you more creativity and ingenuity to get something done, which means you're working even harder mentally and physically, and that my dear, is far from lazy.

Has anyone heard of the FDA banning foam hand-rims? I was told this is why it's so hard to find a pair of these things now.

I have not heard of that, although I have not tried to by a new pair lately. Brianm - For me the foam coating and gloves are a must. I am not a fan of the quad pegs (think thats what u call them). I cant stop real good with them not to mention I dont like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom84 View Post
    Brianm - For me the foam coating and gloves are a must.
    That was the point of my reply. We all have to find what works for us and it is great you found what works for you, but it isn't a must for everyone. On the contrary, I don't like the foam or wearing gloves.

I am able to lift my wrists and you can see from the videos I posted earlier in the thread how I stop, but that is me.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thank you everyone for your comments, stories, and encouragement!

i useed a manual chair for 16 years and a friend gave me the m12 emotion wheels and said these will change your life. i have used the power assist wheels for 2 years and they are awesome. pushing over grass or rough terrain is much easier. i feel in a better mood when i use them

I'm a guy with a c4/5 level injury so manual chairs with power assist haven't been a realistic option...plus I need the power chair in order to do pressure relief & avoid wounds.

Any quads who use manual chairs find themselves getting more pressure wounds?
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    Any quads who use manual chairs find themselves getting more pressure wounds?
    Been injured (C6) since '99, no "real" pressure wounds here. Been using manual-only since '06.

I'll get an occasional (~2x/yr) pimple on an ischial that's likely pressure-related that I blame on long days. 3 Advil (anti-inflammatory) before bed and a little extra rest over the next day or two, and it clears up. Nothing major though.