Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Any Quads Using Manual Chair Full Time?

Any Quads Using Manual Chair Full Time?

I know there are probably posts similar like this on the forum, but I need some opinions on the subject of possibly getting a new chair.

I'm a C5 quad, and I've been in a chair for about 16 years, mostly using a power chair.

But I am interested in possibly getting a manual chair with power assist wheels. I am currently using my manual chair and can get around alright inside my apartment, but I'm not as fast as I wish I could be.

I have always hated using a power chair. Can't fit into most tables at restaurants, feeling bulky, having such a large turning radius, and not being able to be lifted up a few steps if needed.

I like the idea of using a manual chair because it would force me to use my upper body more so that I actually get a bit of a work out.

I'm just wondering if any high level quads like myself use a power assist manual chair on a regular basis?

I only have a few concerns, like, would power assist wheels have enough power to get me up much of a ramp incline? Would I ever end up falling backwards and dumping myself out of my chair? Would I fall out of my chair going down a steep incline?

I always have a care giver when I'm out so I don't worry about getting stuck somewhere.

Any opinions or comments are appreciated! Thank you!

plenty do. i'm c5-8 t2&3 and have never used a power chair. will be 28yrs in may
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    plenty do. i'm c5-8 t2&3 and have never used a power chair. will be 28yrs in may
    Do you use any power assist technology, or are you strong enough to push on your own?

I'm c6-7 and like using a manual because I forget to charge shit and fear a power chair running out of battery in the middle of nowhere. I'm pretty sure the emotions will help a ton getting up ramps. They have special tip bars so I don't think you'll tip backwards. I don't know much about the wheels though so I'm not sure how much exercise you'll get pushing them but definitely more than a p/c.

I have a friend thats a quad (not sure his level, don't remember) and he uses a manual chair full time with the newer emotion wheels. He really likes them, and I've asked him a lot about them and everything he said was positive. So it works for him, and when I've seen him going up ramps it was a breeze.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by quad_girl View Post
    . . . Would I fall out of my chair going down a steep incline?
    I'm not a quad, but I was sliding forward on my cushion when going down steep inclines. Increasing dump solved the issue for me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I've been using a manual chair full-time for a long time. I'm C-5 with a little C6 on my right side which give me a little tenodesis just so I can pick up small stuff. I had the emotions on my chair, the first generation, but as I used them I continuously turned the assist up until the batteries would only last a few hours and once the batteries are dead it's really really difficult to push. I'm sure the newer model probably work a lot better but if you can, try to get the lightest chair you can, a good cushion, a pair of good push rims on your wheels, a pair of good wheelchair gloves and just start pushing the best you can. If you're going to have someone around you all the time then you don't really have to worry about going up and down hilos until you're ready to go places on your own. One big question you have to ask yourself is do you have the balance to stay sitting up without falling over while you push. One of my favorite places to go get exercise is the mall.. It's nice and flat and there is always someone around to help you. Good luck
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I've been using a manual chair full-time for a long time. I'm C-5 with a little C6 on my right side which give me a little tenodesis just so I can pick up small stuff. I had the emotions on my chair, the first generation, but as I used them I continuously turned the assist up until the batteries would only last a few hours and once the batteries are dead it's really really difficult to push. I'm sure the newer model probably work a lot better but if you can, try to get the lightest chair you can, a good cushion, a pair of good push rims on your wheels, a pair of good wheelchair gloves and just start pushing the best you can. If you're going to have someone around you all the time then you don't really have to worry about going up and down hilos until you're ready to go places on your own. One big question you have to ask yourself is do you have the balance to stay sitting up without falling over while you push. One of my favorite places to go get exercise is the mall.. It's nice and flat and there is always someone around to help you. Good luck
    I would say I have pretty good balance. I can sit up and push my manual chair without having the arm rests on. Though I keep them on just incase.

Not a quad but trialed the SmartDrive. If you have the balance to reach between your legs to hit the auto power button then the SmartDrive could be great for you. You can leave the SmartDrive attached when not in use and you hardly notice that it's on. SmartDrive is planning on adding an auto power button in easier reach but it's not available yet. In normal mode the SmartDrive activates when you push the pushrims then SmartDrive maintains speed you achieved. The SmartDrive will on occasion turn itself off when you hit a pavement crack or something similar but you just restart by pushing again or reaching to depress the auto power button.

The ZX-1 is also much loved by those who bought them originally from Pat the Rat (the inventor and CC member), now that Spinergy has the rights lots of people are waiting for the FDA approval of ZX-1 so they can buy one. The ZX-1 is a power base which attaches to the camber bar to make your manual a pwr chair. You can just hit a button and drop the ZX-1 whenever you want.

Check out both devices on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by quad_girl View Post
    Do you use any power assist technology, or are you strong enough to push on your own?
    i dont use any power assist. they make the wheels too heavy to lift into the car.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/