Thread: Spinergy spokes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spinergy spokes

How much damage can the carbon fiber spokes take before you should replace them? i have a friend with some nicks on hers.

I wouldn't bother until one actually breaks or just looks bad enough to replace. If one snaps the others will take the load until you get it replaced. I've got some nicks one some of my spokes, havn't got a clue how they got damaged. The plastic coating the fibres are encased in seems pretty soft.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

spokes...

You can touch-up/repair the nicks with epoxy resin or epoxy gel. It keeps the cut or damaged fibers from delaminating. I've never had one snap since I started doing this. Make sure the spoke is horizontal when you work on it, so the epoxy doesn't run too much. Most nicks happen on the outside of the spokes, so usually you can just lay the wheel flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubby View Post
    You can touch-up/repair the nicks with epoxy resin or epoxy gel. It keeps the cut or damaged fibers from delaminating. I've never had one snap since I started doing this. Make sure the spoke is horizontal when you work on it, so the epoxy doesn't run too much. Most nicks happen on the outside of the spokes, so usually you can just lay the wheel flat.
    Great question and great advice! thanks
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I'd replace it as soon as possible. Once I had one pop it started a domino effect on both wheels. Not immediately, but little by little I was having to replace spokes on both wheels. I was caught off guard a few weeks back when all but two broke on one of them. I was pretty much immobile for a couple of days until my new set came in. I didn't want to have to spend $600 on a new set since I was in the process of getting a new TiLite TR3. Just didn't get it in time. However, now I have a set of brand spanking new Spinergy LXs as back up wheels.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

They can take a beating. I just had one replaced but it was more for looks then anything...they don't serve any real purpose other then astetic appeal. I bent my bearings in the front casters so had to make a trip to repair shop. Otherwise would have left it with one missing.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    How much damage can the carbon fiber spokes take before you should replace them? i have a friend with some nicks on hers.
    Spinergys dosen`t have any carbon fiber spokes, are FBO fiber (polyphenylene bensobisoxazole fiber).

I wouldn`t be worry about the damage in the plastic coated, unless you want to change the spoke for aesthetic.

A spoke could break because come off the head spoke, but i have never seen a spinergy spoke broken in the midd, it`s nearly impossible.

Even i have cut a spinergys spoke with a scissors for see the FBO and was really difficult to cut, that fiber is amazing.