Thread: walker with harness?

walker with harness?

Years ago in therapy they started me on this big blue walker that I had to be strapped or fastened into so there was no worry of me falling. Now I use a regular walker for short theraputic walks. I don't fall usually but need to be spotted. I'm thinking if I could get a safer walker with some kind of harness / strap / fall safe protection that I could build my endurance. A friend offered to walk down the street with me and I think this kind of walker would be a good idea. Does anyone know the name of this kind of walker? Or have any good recomendations? Thank you, I am excited about this!

This one might work for you LightGait Mobility Device, which is now called the HugN-Go. I don't remember the exact prices, but have a spreadsheet somewhere from March 2012. I do know they were way out of budget for us -- well over $5000. There is someone on this forum, Paul_in_Tbilisi, who is designing and building one that may be of interest. Advice needed about my home-made gait trainer design.

I think he is really onto a good idea, and one that can be built and re-configured to meet differing needs. He also really seems to have the know-how to find the materials and build it.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

thank you for this info, yes $5000 is too much. I have design ideas too, but the know how is the obstacle Hopefully Paul will create and motivate others to push for more. I bookmarked a few walkers but it's hard to know what to choose.

You might want to look at a Up 'N Go walker:

http://www.easy-walking.com/up-n-go/

(KLD)

thank you KLD

Jus a question to all here. With the walk 'N go and other's designs. What is actually doing your weight support? Legs? Walker? Arms? Combination? Is how then executing the walk a transition to a more "less help" walker or would this be permanent equipment?

SCI Nurse thank you for sharing that, I was able to try the upnfree and was amazed, I ordered one Friday and hope to have it in less than 2 weeks. I'm hoping you can share what you know about it?

Rlmtrhmiles I have the same questions as you and I will let you know. I know that regardless of the answer that being in my chair less and on my feet more will be most beneficial.

anyone have a up n free gait trainer?

I just got one. Hope to hear others experiences and tips. Right now I'm just trying to get used to standing In it. I was told that wheelchair users have a tendency to lean back, and standing that needs to be corrected. My regular walker only has front wheels so when I stand it stays steady / straight. The up n free has 4 wheels that roll really well and I'm not able to keep it from moving yet. I know it will take consistency. Any info / experiences greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ian