Thread: Good rehab centers for pain in WA or CA?

Good rehab centers for pain in WA or CA?

Hi. My husband (para t12/L1) and I are looking into where to go for some rehab to treat his neuropathic pain and also to get some physical therapy in. He's been injured for two years now, but since we're on Guam, no one really knows what to do with him. We'd like to get him reassesed and find him a good neuro, uro, and physiatrist doc to help him get his pain under control. Then we're hoping to get him into a rehab program like project walk (any other suggestions?) to see how far his body will go. Any help or suggestions would be great. If there are other places besides those in California or Washington that people think are worthy trying, please let us know. Thanks.

Some of this may depend on his funding/ insurance coverage. Where did he go for his SCI rehab? Do they have a pain program? There are many pain programs available. I would recommend looking only at those that are CARF accredited as they will have more of a rehabilitation approach. You can find a list by location and accreditation type at the CARF website: www.carf.org

There are several programs similar to Project Walk. Check out the Exercise forum for more information on this.

(KLD)

Thanks for the advice. My husband went to Santa Clara Valley Med for SCI rehab, but they didn't focus on his pain since we were only there for about a month or so. We don't really have a pain program. He's on neurontin where he takes 1200mg 3x/day, which is the max dosage they recommend. He tried the Fentanyl patch, but that didn't seem to help at all. It just made him really tired and moody. So these certified centers should deal with most of the problems that come with spinal cord injuries right?

As for funding, he has private insurance for another year and a half and he gets medicare in January. If private insurance doesn't cover something, then medicare should take care of it right? Sorry, I'm really unfamiliar with medicare.

I'll look at the excersie forum for the other programs. Thanks a lot.