Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Are Some of the Best Colostomy Products?

Cool What Are Some of the Best Colostomy Products?

I am getting a colostomy on monday(29th) and I want to be fully prepared. I know after I got my suprapubic catheter it took me years to find the best products for me. So I would like to get a jump on things and see what kind of colostomy supplies I should be looking at to order. I am a c5/6 with limited hand function but I would like to become as independent as possible with it.

Thx
    C5/6 since Feb '07

I am a C 5-6 with open hands and some finger movement. My favorite system is: Hollister New Image extended weqr floating flange---2 piece with a closed bag. The bag should have a charcoal filter.
    Last edited by peegy p; 04-25-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    I am a C 5-6 with open hands and some finger movement. My favorite system is: Hollister New Image extended weqr floating flange---2 piece with a closed bag.
    Any reason why you prefer a closed bag? Wouldn't that be harder to empty?
    C5/6 since Feb '07

Drainable bags require you to be able to straddle a toilet bowel or to keep your legs spread open wide while maintaining trunk balance. I have poor trunk balance and alot of tone in my legs. If you cannot drain the bag into a toilet than you might as well purchase the more expensive disposable closed bags. You disconnect the bag from the faceplate, put it into a disposable bag and snap on a new clean bag. The Hollister floating flange system was the easiest for me. Coloplast was too hard to snap on and off. I tried another system which was easy to get on but to difficult and messy to get off.

Try squeezing toothpaste, pudding, peanut butter, or mayonaise out of a sealed ziplock bag. Tape the bag to the side of your belly near your lower hip bone. Cut a small opening in the bottom inside corner. See if you can squeeze the contents out of the bag without making a mess.

Hopefully other quads or those with limited trunk control will chme in son.

I'm T-10 complete. I prefer Convatec moldable products. Cutting the wafer took too much time. I wear a two piece system because I irrigate.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

And best wishes to you for your surgery. Please updates us and feel free to ask questions. Get samples from all of the companies and try them all until you fin what you like.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I am with Peggy/P on this one. Exactly what I use. Have a problem, call Hollister and they will courteously help. I don't irrigate. My stool is much like before I became injured. It will not empty from a open end pouch. I Just go to the toilet and with TP throw the "turd" for lack of a better word, into the toilet.

My experience as a provider is that it is good to have available an ostomy nurse who can help you with the products. It is another language that I have not fully understood.

I know that when patients get an ostomy placed at one facility the products are different from place to place. It is important for you to keep track of the brand name, product name with serial number and descriptions in a file somewhere. Or better yet make a copy of the packaging. My facility can provide the same product, different brand as long as you have serial numbers, measurements and descriptions available.

pbr

Once you know what size you need try calling several companies and ask them for a free package of stuff. They send you enough for a week or two each. Then chose what's best for you.

I am only 2 weeks post op (colostomy and urostomy) and so far Hollister seems to be pretty popular. My hosp sent me home with the Hollister start kits. Once my stomas finish shrinking I will call round for some samples myself.
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury