Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: New member. I need a recommendation.

  1. #1
    Junior Member NorCal_Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Berkeley California

    New member. I need a recommendation.

    Dear members,
    I will be traveling to New York in July with my wife. I would like to hire a nurse to help me with my program. If you can make a recommendation it would be much appreciated.


    "Look where you want to go."

  2. #2
    Why do you need a nurse? Who helps you with your program now? Most people who hire go with a PCA instead of a licensed nurse.

    Do you want someone to travel with you from CA to NY and back? Do you want to hire someone in NY? What care do you need other than bowel care?

    Hiring from an agency in NY may be possible, but will be VERY expensive, and may not be covered by your insurance. You also cannot guarantee that the nurse will know what they are doing, as most have little or no SCI experience.

    If possible, travel with a PCA that you hire and train at home. Depending on the length of your trip, providing their airfare and hotel may actually be cheaper than private paying for agency help in a strange city.

    Alternatively, contact the ILC in the city where you are traveling, or a large rehab center and see who they use. In NYC I would call the office of United Spinal Association (formerly the EPVA) for any information and referrals as well.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts