Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a ZRA. Would I hate a 2GX/TX?

I have a ZRA. Would I hate a 2GX/TX?

My ZRA was second hand and feels like it has more than a few years left in it. In fact, when I enquired about trying out a Quickie Xenon for travel a salesman told me I had something almost indestructible and there was no comparison! I've had a few near-disasters when travelling so I'm considering getting another chair better suited to the task. This would mean, however, that I couldn't replace the ZRA if anything happened to it. So I need to know if the TiLite folding chairs are as good as they claim.

Does anyone have any experience of using a rigid and a 'good' folding chair?

PS The arrival of a catalogue from Sportaid has nothing to do with the sudden need for a new chair. Nothing at all...

We got a slightly used 2GX for my husband about a year ago while we were waiting for a new ZRA, which we got about a month ago. We now use the 2GX upstairs, because we have a stairlift, and will probably sometimes use it while traveling.

The 2GX is a very good folding chair, but there is definitely a different feel to it than having a rigid chair. You just feel the movement of it more, even for me the attendant pushing. It works fine as a part-time chair, but we are both happy for the rigid everyday ZRA. My husband used the 2GX for a year as an everyday chair, and it held up quite well, and I think we could use it for many years as an everyday chair if needed.

We have a folding backrest on the ZRA, and so far, it is no more difficult to put in our car than the 2GX. The ZRA does not fit as well in the trunk, because we have a big LPG tank, so we use the back seat, which works fine.

We have not yet traveled on a plane with either the 2GX or ZRA, but I think we will take the ZRA on planes also (gate checked). When we traveled with another depot folding chair we had some damage done where they seemed to have slightly bent the frame. My "feeling" is that the ZRA will be more solid for checking on flights. I think they will be less likely to set (throw) things onto it, which is what I think happened to our folding chair.

On the other hand, if you think you will be able to bring it on-board, the folding chair would probably be better. We were never able to do that with our folding chair due to packed flights, and I would never want to count on it. Also, we are hoping to get a ZX1 power add-on, if it ever comes out, and then a rigid chair is needed, and we also hope to fly with it.

What kind of near-disasters did you have when traveling with the ZRA?
    Last edited by elarson; 04-25-2013 at 06:33 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I bought a demo TX before I got my TR3, the TX is as good as a folding chair can be.
    What I don't like about it is:
    - I can't really adjust the backrest tension because the chair won't unfold easily
    - my legs are not tight together enough because of lack of V front
    - it's too flexible
    - I can't attach a FreeWheel
    So I'm glad I have it as a backup chair but I would not be happy to use it for more than 2 weeks.

Hmm. That's kinda what I thought. It's the ability to take my chair onboard an aircraft that really appeals. I know I wouldn't get to do it every journey but it does make a big difference when you're doing a day trip somewhere to cut the wait time and the uncertainty about where your chair is and what's happening to it! I'm also more likely to need help getting around on a trip so a chair better suited to being pushed would also be an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    What kind of near-disasters did you have when traveling with the ZRA?
    It's come round baggage reclaim upside down so my upholstery got a bit of wear. Once they removed my untagged wheels. I was terrified watching that emerge on the belt! All it would take is a QR axle to fall out of the wheel, disappear, and I've got a difficult problem to fix. Otherwise it seems to have held up well. I'd be interested how a similar aluminium chair would have fared.

Why not consider getting a demo or used chair for traveling so you can have the exact type of everyday chair you would like?

I often see 2GX and TX's on TiLite's E-Bay shop. Also, don't discount the Aero X aluminium version.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I switched from a 2GX to a ZRA recently. The difference is definitely noticeable. It's lighter overall and pushes more easily and smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Why not consider getting a demo or used chair for traveling so you can have the exact type of everyday chair you would like?

I often see 2GX and TX's on TiLite's E-Bay shop. Also, don't discount the Aero X aluminium version.
    I do keep an eye on eBay but it's difficult as I'm short and nothing I've seen so far would work for my wee legs. My current chair only fits with the footrest adjusted as far as it would go. Unfortunately I'm a paediatric height but don't have the hips to match! I'm considering the aluminium too but the paint jobs are sometimes a bit garish on Ti's ex-demos.

I heard RGK have a travel chair in development so maybe I'll wait and see what (if anything) they release.

The Traveller by PRO ACTIV Reha-Technik might be interesting for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelswithtitanium View Post
    I heard RGK have a travel chair in development so maybe I'll wait and see what (if anything) they release.

Quote Originally Posted by travelswithtitanium View Post
    I do keep an eye on eBay but it's difficult as I'm short and nothing I've seen so far would work for my wee legs. My current chair only fits with the footrest adjusted as far as it would go. Unfortunately I'm a paediatric height but don't have the hips to match! I'm considering the aluminium too but the paint jobs are sometimes a bit garish on Ti's ex-demos.

You can always cover up the paint job, especially if its just a travel chair. Like with bicycle handlebar tape wrapped around, bicycle chain stays like lizardguards, someone recently did a really neat design with different colors of handlebar tape weaved up the front frame of a used tilite chair.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.