Thread: Hair Loss after traumatic SCI

Hair Loss after traumatic SCI

I was in a car accident about 2 years ago, c6 complete.

I'm now 24 years old. I noticed my hair is receding pretty fast. When I was in acute rehab my hair really fell out. Terribly. The doctor said it was my system in shock, I believe its called Telogen Effluvium. After a while a lot of my hair grew back but not even close to 100%.

Now I'm noticing that I'm balding on the crown/temples, just like regular male pattern baldness, but it is pretty fast.

I noticed when in rehab that every single volunteer veteran SCI that came in to talk was bald/balding. I'm talking 5/5 people.

My question is is baldness another attribute of severe SCI? Do SCI men have higher rates of baldness than the general population? Obviously my genes are playing a role here, but I had a full head of hair 2 years ago. How much is SCI a factor?

Anyone have any personal stories/thoughts/comments?

i had severe itching on both my back and chest, it began 2 months after injury and continued for another 2 months
    At night it used to drive me crazy, tried so many different pills and ointments i can't remember, all GP's i talked to gave me different cause versions from food to clothes washing detergents. i always suspected it was shock withdrawal from injury. Finally it suddenly stopped and its cause never established.

At 44, I Was already rocking the 'pope-dome' when I got busted up. However, I did notice an acceleration of gray. Was a salt/pepper for a few months, then grayed quickly.

Another 20-ish wheeler at rehab mentioned the same thing as you--he lost a lot in the 2 years he had been hurt, so maybe an association.

I've read that Ditropan and Vesicare can cause hair loss. If you're on either, or another type of anticholinergenic, you might check into the side effects.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

If you received methylprednisolone that can also cause both hair loss or too much hair where, espcially in women, it isn't wanted. If you spent a lot more time with your head on the pillow I understand that can also do it. I'd also suggest a full nutritional panel with your next blood draw. For some reason we tend to run low after injury on many things like calcium, protein and...tada......Vitamin D. Vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I had problems with serious hair loss a few months after my accident.
    Causes are often trauma, infection, medication, poor nutrition, severe stress or major surgery. There are others as well, but I just listed all the ones that applied to me.

Oddly, when my hair grew back in, it came in much darker and very curly. About 6 months later it lost the curl, and went back to my normal lighter brown color.

The change was drastic enough that most people thought I had dyed my hair, and permed it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Nowhereman, I never thought about that. After I read your thread I went and checked some old pics and it happened to me too. I had my injury at 17 years old, C5 C6, my hair never grew up as before, and I went bald real quick. I also think Sue is correct about being in bed most of the time could be a cause of hair loss. In my case I was about 10 months in bed.

I'm nearly 23 years in and still have a thick head full of hair. However, I had hairy legs before SCI but after a few years my injury, they started losing hair. My legs are 85-90% bald now. I have very good circulation so I don't think it has to do with blood flow. I have also ruled out clothing abrasion. Go figure.

My son lost a ton of hair. Every morning his pillow was covered with hair. He looked like he was having chemotherapy. His hairline remained in tack but the hair itself became very fragile, almost like "fuzz". It took a good 2 years before his hair looked completely normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    I had problems with serious hair loss a few months after my accident.
    Causes are often trauma, infection, medication, poor nutrition, severe stress or major surgery. There are others as well, but I just listed all the ones that applied to me.

Oddly, when my hair grew back in, it came in much darker and very curly. About 6 months later it lost the curl, and went back to my normal lighter brown color.

The change was drastic enough that most people thought I had dyed my hair, and permed it.
    Crazy, you're the 1st person that I've heard of it besides myself whose hair did that. Mine was slightly different, though. My hair originally was slightly wavy and light brown.
    About 4 or 5 months after injury my hair fell out, pretty severely. When it grew back it was super curly, and a little darker. Maybe 9 months or so later, I noticed that it was completely straight (I'm talking it looked like I straightened it) and back to its normal color. Finally, maybe another year later my hair turned totally blonde, including my facial hair, leg hair, and ass hair. My hair started receding also, but that's just my genes. Kind of a nice change through, now I can refer to myself as a blonde bombshell.