Thread: Colostomy questions

Colostomy questions

I have a C-5, C-6 incomplete SCI as a result of a car accident in 1986. I was at Sharp Rehab for a few months after the accident and managed to stay away from rehab until recently when I went back for 6 weeks to try to control my bowels which go back and forth from constipation to diarrhea. Also, I was treated [with medications] for my horrible leg spasms and nerve pain which got a lot worse at about the same time that I suffered more bowel problems. Toward the end of my 6 week stay, my doctor recommended a colostomy. I have a colostomy surgery date of May 14th set and I have a question about the type of surgery I should have.

I have read many posts on the CareCure Community that say that having a colostomy was the best decision they had made post injury. These comments have been very helpful to me. I have also talked with three women with SCI who have had colostomies and they all recommended that I have a permanent colostomy [since the amount of care would be less]. My surgeon initially recommended that I have a loop colostomy [which I understand to be reversible]. When I expressed my preference for a permanent colostomy, my surgeon recommended the low anterior resection method of colostomy. This method is apparently common when a patient has cancer in this area [I have not been diagnosed with cancer]. I wanted to reach out to the CareCure Community to see if anyone with SCI has had a low anterior resection and to find out how your surgery was for you.

I will, of course, see my surgeon before my surgery and I wonder what questions I should ask at this point? What type of bowel prep did you do before surgery? Did anyone spend the night before their surgery in the hospital?

I look forward to having more energy and spending less time on bowel care, but I am nervous about going under the knife. Thank you for any thoughts on all of this that you might have.

I had a " Hand assisted loop colostomy". While it is reversible it by no means ever has to be. I retained just about all of my colon making bowel movements easily managed. Mine are almost like before I became paralyzed. I was admitted and prepped that night for a colonoscopy the following day. My surgery was on the second day. Best decision I made!

^ ^ I agree with that, it was best decision that I made also. Why are you so insistent on making it permanent?
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Thank you for the responses. I have talked with several folks with SCI who had permanent colostomies and one you had a reversible and she wished that it had been permanent [since I understand that there is some weekly discharge with the temporary colostomy that one can avoid with the permanent colostomy]. Have others found this to be the case for them? I am not married to either approach. I just want to collect more information to make the best possible decision. I really appreciate feedback.

On another topic, I have been anxious about the prep the day before. It would be a mess in my own home. Have others gone into the hospital the day before for the prep? Thanks!

I have a reversible loop type colostomy and have yet to experience any sort of discharge. Maybe not everyone gets it. Ofc it's only been about 2 weeks since my op. I'll post up if I run into any discharge issues....uuuck...lol
    C6/7 Complete

14 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Boompow View Post
    I have a reversible loop type colostomy and have yet to experience any sort of discharge. Maybe not everyone gets it. Ofc it's only been about 2 weeks since my op. I'll post up if I run into any discharge issues....uuuck...lol
    When you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boompow View Post
    It's been 8 months since I got mind and no accidents yet.