Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Intermittent Hypoxia Elicits Prolonged Restoration of Motor Function in Human SCI

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    That's very helpful and I'll share with the Hypoxico salesman. Now are these HYP-123 devices available to buy or rent? Do you need a High Altitude Adapter with it? IHT is so exciting cuz it's natural and effective for me...Jan
    I'm not sure about the availability or technical specs of the HYP-123 units...you'd have to ask the Hypoxico people.
    You may want to consider seeing if there are any SCI doctors/researchers near you who may be interested in working with you if you decide to give IH another go. They might be able to help your tweak what you're doing to best suit your needs.

  2. #32
    Senior Member trekker6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    merritt island, florida
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    I'm not sure about the availability or technical specs of the HYP-123 units...you'd have to ask the Hypoxico people.
    You may want to consider seeing if there are any SCI doctors/researchers near you who may be interested in working with you if you decide to give IH another go. They might be able to help your tweak what you're doing to best suit your needs.
    I checked the hypoxico site and the summit II will give the equivalent of 9 % oxygen according to a chart I found.

    Fellow Hawkeye, do you do this alone or with supervision? when I do it, they have two people watching so I don't pass out, be careful.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    2,546
    Based on the studies this seems applicable only to significantly incompletes, yes?
    I was categorized complete but can now do assisted "walking" with a PT and AFOs. Is there any point in my pursuing something like this?

    And, yes, they rent at $175/week with a 4 week minimum.

  4. #34
    Senior Member trekker6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    merritt island, florida
    Posts
    2,841
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

  5. #35
    Senior Member trekker6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    merritt island, florida
    Posts
    2,841
    I went to the tms study yesterday and talked the doctor more about the intermittent hypoxia treatments, he said they have another study which is for cardio pulmonary using IH while walking, he then talked to someone working on that trial, theres a possibility I can join that study, very excited about it..
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    I went to the tms study yesterday and talked the doctor more about the intermittent hypoxia treatments, he said they have another study which is for cardio pulmonary using IH while walking, he then talked to someone working on that trial, theres a possibility I can join that study, very excited about it..
    Good news!

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Based on the studies this seems applicable only to significantly incompletes, yes?
    I was categorized complete but can now do assisted "walking" with a PT and AFOs. Is there any point in my pursuing something like this?

    And, yes, they rent at $175/week with a 4 week minimum.
    The short answer is...maybe. There isn't any human research on complete SCI, but in one of the studies that has been done so far, a man with a chronic cervical level injury had a lower extremity motor score of 6/50 (which could be considered a "severe incomplete" injury) and he showed a significant improvement in strength in the one muscle group that the study tested.

    Intermittent hypoxia may work to some degree for completes, but probably through a different mechanism on the cellular level that is not understood as well as the mechanism through which it works for completes. More research needs to be done before it can be said conclusively if IH will benefit completes or not.

  8. #38

    Excited for you!

    Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    I went to the tms study yesterday and talked the doctor more about the intermittent hypoxia treatments, he said they have another study which is for cardio pulmonary using IH while walking, he then talked to someone working on that trial, theres a possibility I can join that study, very excited about it..
    I think you'll have good progress made with the IHT. i'm on the second month of it with a better understanding of how to use it. It's very strange because the oximeter reading goes down after the hose is disconnected and I'm breathing normal air. I got down to 63 unfortunately, which unnerved me. Getting down to 80 minus is much easier this time. I hope it helps me move faster and further. Seems to be helping some after 5 days now...Jan

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    I think you'll have good progress made with the IHT. i'm on the second month of it with a better understanding of how to use it. It's very strange because the oximeter reading goes down after the hose is disconnected and I'm breathing normal air. I got down to 63 unfortunately, which unnerved me. Getting down to 80 minus is much easier this time. I hope it helps me move faster and further. Seems to be helping some after 5 days now...Jan
    Keep us updated. Also, sometimes there is a delay in pulse oximeter readings which is why it might keep going down even after you start breathing normal air again. 63 sounds a little extreme...you can always try giving yourself just a bit more O2 during the hypoxic intervals if it happens regularly and makes you uncomfortable.

  10. #40
    Trekker, I always had a CNA giving me the therapy while getting stretched in bed; only passed out first time I used it cuz lever was completely on that reduced O2 level to 9 percent. Work down to that level over a week and it's fine. The right protocol let me get down to 50 once on my oximeter, but I stayed in the mid 60s and 70s usually. Haven't seen improvements yet from my second rental, but hopefully I will....Jan

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 12:18 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 07:26 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 08:06 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2002, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •