View Poll Results: How interested are you.

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • I definitely want to do this.

1 50.00%
  • I would join if you can get the ball rolling

1 50.00%
  • I think that you are going to be lonely in your club.

0 0%
  • I can only give you money...

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paraplegic sportbike modification and racing

Paraplegic sportbike modification and racing

I am creating this thread in an effort to see just how many people would really be interested in modifying some sportbikes and then taking them to infineon or thunderhill. Probably just recreational track time, but could just as easily be some serious racing for prizes and notoriety too. I have wanted to get back on my bike since I was lying in the hospital post injury, I would have ridden my baby home from the hospital if I could have. And ever since I have been trying to figure out a way to get back on a bike. I have managed to put my bike all back together, but because of a dead ass and feet I can't shift my unmodified bike. Due to my inability to work either I am financially destitute so i'm thinking that the only way I will ever be able to ride again is if i can find enough other like minded people to form a club. Im hoping that if enough people are interested that we can pool our knowledge, experience, and resources and find some sponsors and put together a few bikes that we could then take to a track for some competetive fun. Although obviously this idea is still in it's infancy, I'll bet if we can get enough members that we could persuade some local businesses to sponsor us. I'm thinking that if enough of us really want to ride, that through agroup effort we should be able to make it a reality. I was searching online and found several devices that are being sold that would enable us to shift and brake using our hands instead of our feet.

So do you want to ride? post up, Do you want to donate a bike or some gear? post up. Do you know someone that would like to sponsor us? post up. Do you have some cash that you would like to donate? post up. Do you have some parts we can use? post up. Do you have friends that would like to help? post up. Are you good at organizing or have experience setting up a nonprofit? post up. Do you own a racetrack we could use? post up. Are you an experienced paramedic? post up. Do you have any good fundraising ideas? post up. Do you get the idea so that I can stop typing examples of ways that everyone that wants to can be involved? post up. Do you think my idea is stupid? shut up......

I still have my 1987 ZX750 F1 collecting dust in my garage and I have no problem throwing her into the mix to convert into our first paraready bike.

Oh I forgot to mention that I live in the bay area and so I am alos primarily looking for people that are also from around here, although everyone is welcome if they don't mind travelling out here to attend the events.

If I'm right, you're 87 is the Kawasaki 750 Ninja. I never found a bike that fit me better. I love your idea though I can't do anything to be supportive, all my money is going into my next chair and even if it wasn't, I think motorcycles are over for me. I don't have an SCI and could shift etc. but even if I could figure out a way to ride again and there are great systems out there that lower and retract a rear wheel stand - very cool, I think I'm past risking the injuries. I just think of things differently now.

Maybe I do still have the bug. It's hard for me to believe anybody has been more obsessed with motorcycles than I've been. When I was young, 21 or so, I was hoping to race a Yamaha RZ350 with, gosh what was it called then .. trying to remember. IMF? Anyhow it was a league that allowed amateurs and raced at Sears Point. If you can get something going, I would be curious. I wish I could throw in some money or gear. By the way, I'm in San Francisco. You've got an intersting idea.

I race sailboats now. Just as agressive but you only get wet ;-)

You are absolutely correct. It is the only bike I have ever owned, but she fit me like a glove as well. And sporty yet still comfortable for all day riding pleasure! And not to worry you need not feel obliged to donate, I just kind of threw that out there because in group as large as this I figure there must be at least a few philanthropists. But there are lots of ways to be supportive besides making donations from your own wallet, just keep us, well I guess so far it's just me, in mind as you live your life. Because who knows tomorrow you might meet someone that has a friend who's sisters step brother makes those stands that you referred to and was getting ready to toss some that were accidentally painted the wrong color or something, and would love to donate them to us, er me thus far, for the free advertising... Or whatever, I think that you get my drift. And when This whole parasportbike racing really gets going you are always welcome to come watch and lend moral support.

I used to race sailing dinghies when I was a kid in Sea Scouts. Won every race I was ever in by not less than 20 minutes in the lead. I also used to take that thing out and do some crazy shit all over puget sound.

You do have an '87 Ninja 750? Drool. Part of me is waking up and feeling like I'd donate a body part to that bike again. I dreamt of owning it but couldn't get the money. Does she start, is she rideable? I woud like to just throw a leg over and sit for a minute, push a little on the inside of the grips. That bike was so underrated, a total sleeper. People never knew :-)

Please keep me in mind if something does happen. I would like to be around it again. Oh geez the sounds, the smells. It's a good morning.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    You do have an '87 Ninja 750? Drool. Part of me is waking up and feeling like I'd donate a body part to that bike again. I dreamt of owning it but couldn't get the money. Does she start, is she rideable? I woud like to just throw a leg over and sit for a minute, push a little on the inside of the grips. That bike was so underrated, a total sleeper. People never knew :-)

Please keep me in mind if something does happen. I would like to be around it again. Oh geez the sounds, the smells. It's a good morning.
    Oh ya, she starts, she purrs and she is still pretty except for the lower front fairing piece got messed up. I got her from a friend of a friend in 2009 with just under 12,000 on her after she had been sitting covered in a garage for over 15 years. I cleaned out her fuel system changed all her fluids etc and I put a little over 20,000 well maintained miles on her before I crashed her, but she sustained very minimal injuries from the crash. And realistically so did I. Unfortunately for me my only injury was a compound burst fracture to L1, not a single other scratch. She lost the turn signals on one side a clutch levee, the lower front cowl I mentioned before and her cooling water tube coming off of the water pump is partially crushed...

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post

Oh ya, she starts, she purrs and she is still pretty except for the lower front fairing piece got messed up. I got her from a friend of a friend in 2009 with just under 12,000 on her after she had been sitting covered in a garage for over 15 years. I cleaned out her fuel system changed all her fluids etc and I put a little over 20,000 well maintained miles on her before I crashed her, but she sustained very minimal injuries from the crash. And realistically so did I. Unfortunately for me my only injury was a compound burst fracture to L1, not a single other scratch. She lost the turn signals on one side a clutch lever, replaced, the lower front cowl I mentioned before and her cooling water tube coming off of the water pump is partially crushed...

I gotta figure out where Pinole is ;-) I really would love to see it. Actually there's a stupid part of me that's want's to buy it and ride it. I guess parts of my brain don't know who I am now. Man, what memories. That was a hell of a bike. :-)

Mike, did you check out 'the bike experience' ? Google it, they're in England but it would help with a model for what you want to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Mike, did you check out 'the bike experience' ? Google it, they're in England but it would help with a model for what you want to do here.
    Yes i did. Thank you. Has anyone else on here ever noticed that when it comes to SCI there seems to be a disproportionate number of groups, forums, help in the UK? It seems like almost every time I find a link that I'm interested in that has something to do with SCI is from there...

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Yes i did. Thank you. Has anyone else on here ever noticed that when it comes to SCI there seems to be a disproportionate number of groups, forums, help in the UK? It seems like almost every time I find a link that I'm interested in that has something to do with SCI is from there...
    The Brits and the Irish want to make things happen. Here sadly things happen and then some prat sues and shuts it down!