Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The news driven market

Poor suckers who piled on short at the bottom, got stopped out (or blown out) on the snap back rally, only to see the market make new lows. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cfx View Post
    ha ha I bet it did
    Yep, we made an assload of money.

Exactly how large was that assload?

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Exactly how large was that assload?
    Quite a bit. We were running the next release in simulated trading, it made a lot less and to be honest that makes me happy. I would prefer to sit on the sidelines when the market does crazy things than get on the roller coaster.

I agree. Why stick your neck out when you can simply wait until it's not crazy? But then how do you determine this threshold? A high VIX market can last for months. Do you sit out for months?

I agree. Why stick your neck out when you can simply wait until it's not crazy? But then how do you determine this threshold? A high VIX market can last for months. Do you sit out for months?
    Me personally, I don't trade stocks at all. I have to register any trades I want to make with our compliance officer and can't hold any stock for less than 30 days. So I simply have pulled out of the market.

Our company does HFT and in general when the VIX is high we get better returns because there is more intra-day opportunities. Today's fun with the fake AP news story started at 1309 and was over in less than 30 minutes. If the story had not been fake, it might not have been so fun.

Are you actually executing hundreds of trades on HF or are you just updating the bid/offer on HF? What duty cycle would you estimate?

I am just trying to get an idea of how much of the bids and offers are really intended for execution and how much of them are smoke screens.

I am just trying to get an idea of how much of the bids and offers are really intended for execution and how much of them are smoke screens.
    Yeah, there is a limit to how much of our technology I will talk about though

Got it. I wouldn't expect you to divulge your company IP. Just asking about the market in general. No worries. I am sure the answer is 'a lot'.