Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wow

wow

this post may not belong here,

i should be used to this attitude but every once in a while i read some thing that blows me away, i'm sorry i didn't see it sooner for Christan's sake.

http://badcripple.blogspot.com/2007/...s-on-cure.html

i'm coming up on 37 years of sci so i feel i have the right or really anyone does,

this guys bs will keep people in chairs for ever

i read christan was going to be speaking at the upcoming NY Fundraiser and hadn't heard of yet that i knew of so googled her and this article was near the top

walking is over rated, give me a break
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

I reserve the right to rate walking once I am doing it again. I'm not thinking I would say it is "overrated".
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

For me , the last few sentences were right. He says he has perhaps the same narcissist view when he thinks about this in that way.....I think its a personal issue of an individual with such an impact like SCI to think about a cure or in this case walking. Dont think the soceity has such a great impact on us. On a few of us perhaps but not the main community. Its a personal collapse for everyone of us and everyone who had one has one or will have one in the time when an injury happens. Again , its worth it to fight for a cure. Especially nowerdays. And christopher was the pioneer of that all. And he did it with courage and used his status to help people IMO

I've called Leo lots of things, but self-absorbed narcissist isnot any of them. Leo's fought for cure AND for access. This bittercripple person thinks you can only support one or the other. I've known several like that. To a wo(man), they were self-absorbed narcissists that needed their horizons expanded. Let's say sci is cured tomorrow. We will still need the infrastructure for people on wheels to access full lives. SCI isn't the only condition that keeps ppl seated. As this population ages and the money concentrates at the top, business owners deny that reality at their peril. Wheelers are def a minority today but 15 yrs will be a whole new ballgame. The Boomers are slowing down. The Boomers are used to getting (or buying) what they want. When that huge chunk of the financially solvent population demands entry, doorways will widen with a quickness.

Re the importance of walking...it's perspective. To a para w/ perfect hands, or to anyone that has perfected their bowel/bladder limitations and the art of orgasm via earlobe, walking may be the ultimate. Face facts, tho. If you need a vent to breathe, your deepest desire likely begins with your diaphragm. As a human, the day you walk perfectly will be the day you long to run. It's our nature. If we didn't always want more, we wouldn't be reading on these here innerwebz.

Good to see you, Leo. Me love you long Time!

Yup, it is a very personal decision. Is it narcissistic to want a cure or to walk again? No, I don't think so. Given the severe osteoporosis in my legs and spine a "cure" (45 years post injury) would not be a great benefit for me personally.

I do agree with the part of the blog post quoted below.

If I have learned one thing in the last 30 years I have been paralyzed it is that being disabled is social problem. The real obstacles are not architectural but social. How else can one explain why 66% of Americans with a disability are unemployed and do not have access to adequate health insurance.

would one his with view have the balls to tell a blind person that vision is over rated, or deaf about hearing

-----------------
    If I have learned one thing in the last 30 years I have been paralyzed it is that being disabled is social problem. The real obstacles are not architectural but social. How else can one explain why 66% of Americans with a disability are unemployed and do not have access to adequate health insurance.
    ---------------------------------------------------

and after serving on VR boards, technology boards, ticket to work, freedom to work, yada yada.

my thinking on the above is changed,

i don't think it's so much a social problem but a policy problem, along with the obstical problem
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Well said, Betheny.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    Yup, it is a very personal decision. Is it narcissistic to want a cure or to walk again? No, I don't think so. Given the severe osteoporosis in my legs and spine a "cure" (45 years post injury) would not be a great benefit for me personally.

I do agree with the part of the blog post quoted below.
    that just shows your mentality of time and the inability to be self relient.

so what did you aspire in life to become a mechanic? or bum?

Do you like paying big money to others to do the simple things in life you could do yourself, like wipe your arse or change a light glob?

I had dreams and goals i wanted to achive 22 years and counting, now i am fucked in this chair

So if a cure and you hold this mentality please do us a favour don't ask for cure or waste every one money on BS. the comments one the end of the article are spot on

You sir are the types that will kewep us in these shits of chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    would one his with view have the balls to tell a blind person that vision is over rated, or deaf about hearing

-----------------
    ---------------------------------------------------

and after serving on VR boards, technology boards, ticket to work, freedom to work, yada yada.

my thinking on the above is changed,

i don't think it's so much a social problem but a policy problem, along with the obstical problem
    totally agree

The blogger reminds me of Brooks in The Shawshank Redemption.

These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized.