Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serratia marcescens

Serratia marcescens

My understanding is that this bacteria is almost always acquired in a hospital setting. Why and how would it suddenly appear in a home setting, and how best to eradicate it from any surface areas and wash basins?

Thanks!

How do you know you have it now? Was a blood or urine culture taken?

pbr

Urine. First UTI in several years.

this is super common pathogen found in bathrooms. anywhere damp like your shower chair, cushion, bathroom floor etc. bleach first, let it dry and then follow with hydrogen peroxide.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I'm not certain about a specific local for serratia marcenens but I do know that the sensitivities are vital to matching the correct antibiotic with the bacteria.

With each infection then you can "track" type of bacteria, sensitivities, frequency et al. as well as preventative measures you are taking what is working what is not.

pbr

Thanks. I'm on an antibiotic that it's sensitive to, but I don't want to keep getting it of course.

A really good cleaner I use that can be used on the body and surfaces of your house, is hipacleanse . My infectious doctor recommended I use this instead of peroxide because it kills bacteria better. I use it to clean all the surfaces of my bathroom.
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Oh forgot to mention , you need to purchase it at a pharmacy. :-)

Edited to add : sorry I spelled it wrong :-) here is a link to it http://www.hibiclens.com/
    BobbieLee
    SCI from L5 to S2-S3, complete Cauda Equina Syndrome , symptoms from waist to feet, as well and as far up to the stomach. Spinal cord surgery for removal of tumor Jan 2009

Serratia marescens is associated with catheter use--> urinary tract infections and wound infections, and is responsible for 1.4% of hospital acquired cases. It is commonly found in the respiratory and urinary tracts of hospitalized adults and in the gastrointestinal system of children.

Serratia may prevented and reduced by application of a bleach-based disinfectant.

pbr

I haven't been hospitalized for years. Haven't even been to one for an appointment for almost a year. Hence my surprise at getting this particular bug.