Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxybutynin and Oxybutynin CL

Oxybutynin and Oxybutynin CL

Is it necessarry to take both, if you were taking regular Oxybutynin first (for yrs), in order not to leak? Or will the Oxybutynin CL be enough for all my needs?
    May the fetus you save be gay

Oxybutynin CL? You mean Ditropan XL or Oxybutynin Chloride ER? If the later two then, yes. Most take 10-20 mg a day and don't need the generic blue tabs anymore.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

oxybutynin = ditropan
    regular oxybutynin is dosed to be taken 2-3 times per day
    oxybutynin XL is a one time daily dosing to cover neurogenic spastic bladder for 24 hours

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    oxybutynin = ditropan
    regular oxybutynin is dosed to be taken 2-3 times per day
    oxybutynin XL is a one time daily dosing to cover neurogenic spastic bladder for 24 hours
    The XL is supposed to be a once a day dose but almost everyone I know takes it twice a day. I believe it is because of how the drug is dispensed from the laser hole in the capsule and our slower digestive systems. Either way, the side effects like dry mouth, fuzzy vision , dandruff, dry skin eases up A LOT with the XL even if overall you may be taking more milligrams a day from the regular formula in the blue pills.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

gysula
    oxybutynin not as pills , how you say in english ? liquid ? for direct instilation in bladder is better no second effects , but you need the special catheter , etc ...

I am not aware of ditropan/oxybutynin in form to be dispensed into the bladder

I agree with above that many patients find the XL "wearing off" at the end of the day. I suggested to a patient yesterday to take it a bedtime since his biggest complaint was leaking during the night. We'll see how that works

pbr

gysula
    i can make a picture and sent to your e mail . Oxybutynin to be like you say dispensed direct to bladder . 0.5 mg/ ml in a 10 ml little bottel . This is " after a long time of proving different things " the best solution i got .
    In Switzerland it is available .

I know there is a liquid form of oxybutynin in the US. While trying to find a way to avoid using catheters at all early on I was put on a course of the pediatric liquid orally. I imagine the same liquid could be instilled after diluting it with sterile water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I know there is a liquid form of oxybutynin in the US. While trying to find a way to avoid using catheters at all early on I was put on a course of the pediatric liquid orally. I imagine the same liquid could be instilled after diluting it with sterile water.
    Why do you think you would need to dilute it with sterile water? I believe the concentration in the paediatric liquid is 2.5 mg in 5 mL, and therefore 10mg in 20mL....so would that not be suitable without dilution?

(I'm interested because we are considering intravesicular use for my son, and I had forgotten about the paediatric liquid until reading this thread).

Gysula, it sounds like you can get a different concentration level in Switzerland. Can you choose different concentrations?
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I had a tiny measuring spoon for taking it. It was not a suspension. Without diluting it with sterile water I would think it would clog the catheter on instillation or as it was released. I don't remember my dose other than it was less than 1/2 a 5mg tablet. I do remember it was not a thin, watery liguid. It was more like a thickish pink liquid.