Thread: Hands-Free elevator controls

Hands-Free elevator controls

This may be already covered in KLD's extensive links stickied above, but here is the elevator control set up that was adopted by the Blusson Spinal Cord Center, where ICORD is housed. This is true universal design.

The toe kick strips make elevator control accessible for everyone. Even ABs with a coffee in each hand

http://www.wikk.com/sw_spec.html

Cool. We are getting ready to move forward on design of a new 6 story SCI building, and would love to have something like this. Currently we only have two floors, and have an electric eye system that simply pushes the button for the other floor when someone enters the elevator, and a heat sensitive call button that detects skin warmth up to 6" from the button but that is not really great, and once we have multiple floors we will need something better.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-22-2013 at 06:39 PM.

KLD,

I do not know what your elevator specs are, but I have seen A LOT of new elevators with heat sensitive buttons (tested with gloves), and always wonder what a double hand amputee is going to do.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

With our elevators, you can get any body part near the button (within 6") and it will detect the body heat. For example, I have activated the button when carrying objects with both hands by putting my upper arm or shoulder within 6" and it has activated.

(KLD)

Maybe you are just hot??

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    With our elevators, you can get any body part near the button (within 6") and it will detect the body heat. For example, I have activated the button when carrying objects with both hands by putting my upper arm or shoulder within 6" and it has activated.

(KLD)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.