Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Push Girls: Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    angela suffers from learned helplessness and it's a hard thing to overcome. as a kid with no use of my fingers i was more independent than angela. and you're right. she needs to switch up that attitude. some pain meds, electric night bag and she would be set for night time and learn to deal. she wore out her husband and her aunt, her behavior is destructive and pouting at her age is severely unattractive.
    I LOVE THAT! Learned helplessness! I know a few AB people that I can describe with that phrase.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

learned helplessness is an actual psychological diagnosis, it can happen to anyone.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I have to politely disagree here. I don't think any of us can really know what it is to be Angela and it seems like there are some kind of harsh judgements happening. I don't want to start some kind of brouhaha on this thread, just offer my thoughts. From what I have read on carecure, there are many shades and variations in disability when it comes to being a quad and two people with almost the exact same injury can have very different levels of function. Is it possible that Angela is not doing as much for herself as she could be? Yes. However, she does not strike me as that type of person. We have seen her put herself out there in a lot of challenging ways, including high fashion modeling, skiing, and taking a cross-country trip.

Not everyone can get their pain even remotely under control, I know from experience. I have literally been to the top hospitals all over the country, tried almost every medication on the market, had surgeries, an implant, procedures like lidocaine infusions and botox and nothing has helped whatsoever. Without knowing what Angela has tried for pain, I wouldn't expect that she simply hasn't tried hard enough. Maybe she has tried really hard and we just don't know.

I do think it is really complicated when your caregiver is a family member. It was unfortunate to watch her wake her aunt up so many times in the night, but I have been there myself. I hope people here wouldn't judge me or think me selfish for doing that. When you have tried everything you can think of and you are shaking from pain in your bed, and you know that a quick massage of a spasming limb or a simple ice pack could give you some relief, I do think it is understandable to call out to a family member and have them help you. Does it suck for everyone involved? Yes. My parents have never begrudged me the middle of the night wakeup, even though it makes them tired the next day for work. And there have been some nights where I woke them up multiple times. Maybe that makes me a horrible person. Somehow we all manage to get through, and it doesn't happen that often. If we could see another way to live, we would be taking that road in a second. I guess this just gives me a lot of compassion and empathy for Angela. I don't see her as helpless. I see her as someone who needs a hand with some things, but also as a person who is actively working to shape her life in spite of huge challenges. Just my thoughts.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiMaya View Post
    I have to politely disagree here. I don't think any of us can really know what it is to be Angela and it seems like there are some kind of harsh judgements happening. I don't want to start some kind of brouhaha on this thread, just offer my thoughts. From what I have read on carecure, there are many shades and variations in disability when it comes to being a quad and two people with almost the exact same injury can have very different levels of function. Is it possible that Angela is not doing as much for herself as she could be? Yes. However, she does not strike me as that type of person. We have seen her put herself out there in a lot of challenging ways, including high fashion modeling, skiing, and taking a cross-country trip.

Not everyone can get their pain even remotely under control, I know from experience. I have literally been to the top hospitals all over the country, tried almost every medication on the market, had surgeries, an implant, procedures like lidocaine infusions and botox and nothing has helped whatsoever. Without knowing what Angela has tried for pain, I wouldn't expect that she simply hasn't tried hard enough. Maybe she has tried really hard and we just don't know.

I do think it is really complicated when your caregiver is a family member. It was unfortunate to watch her wake her aunt up so many times in the night, but I have been there myself. I hope people here wouldn't judge me or think me selfish for doing that. When you have tried everything you can think of and you are shaking from pain in your bed, and you know that a quick massage of a spasming limb or a simple ice pack could give you some relief, I do think it is understandable to call out to a family member and have them help you. Does it suck for everyone involved? Yes. My parents have never begrudged me the middle of the night wakeup, even though it makes them tired the next day for work. And there have been some nights where I woke them up multiple times. Maybe that makes me a horrible person. Somehow we all manage to get through, and it doesn't happen that often. If we could see another way to live, we would be taking that road in a second. I guess this just gives me a lot of compassion and empathy for Angela. I don't see her as helpless. I see her as someone who needs a hand with some things, but also as a person who is actively working to shape her life in spite of huge challenges. Just my thoughts.
    i dont see her as helpless. i said she has learned helplessness, that is a different thing. in particular her season one excuses of why she cannot get a job, namely because she cannot type. there is adaptive equipment and technology to help her with those things. while certainly not perfect (oh the woes of using dragon!!!) but it was pathetic to hear the (paraphrase) "my only option to make money is to model because i cannot use my hands to type" also, being a secretary is NOT the only job option available but i guess if you decided to become a model and not get an education, that limits your options.

furthermore, she has said that her husband taking care of her partially contributed to their divorce. AND the fact that he made not one but TWO financial plans for her when he doesnt even live in the country shows how fargone her learned helplessness is. she couldve spent some money to get a financial planner and get some advice, or do it herself but yet this is also the woman who thought going into a nursing home for 3yrs was a good idea; with no plan, mind you, for after those 3yrs.

i also did not say her pain can be fully managed. i have yet to meet someone whose pain is fully managed, not even my own. but there are some clues from what she said/does. she got a ugly tattoo in one of the most tender places to get one (also, that money couldve gone towards a financial planner) but also her pain happens mostly at night. so you could take meds to help just at night. it takes a looooonnnggg time to establish a relationship with your dr and to find something to cut the edge and some never get that but they do try.

also her aunt very politely put her foot down and angela did the whole pouty face thing and i was proud of her aunt to basically say "that isnt going to work" which will hlp angela break free of this learned helplessness where her aunt just automatically does for her.

we shall see the growth hopefully of all these women
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    we shall see the growth hopefully of all these women
    Lol, yes.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

and wow bad punctuation lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I can't watch this show anymore. They're all annoying in one way or another, except young Chelsea who isn't really one of the "stars".

I do like Angela, but it's frustrating to see how much unnecessary dependence she's let herself get mired in, and someone needs to explain to her how, even when a quad needs some help from a PCA, she does not need "around the clock" help/care. She could benefit from a mitro (or similar procedure), too. :sigh:

As with most "reality shows", the scenarios are so contrived, staged and forced, like the bullriding thing and going down the stairs. I don't want to even get started with Auti.

Bleh.

Oh, well, I'm certainly not their target audience. I hope it leads to bigger and better things for all the "push girls" though.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 06-07-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I can't watch this show anymore. They're all annoying in one way or another, except young Chelsea who isn't really one of the "stars".

I do like Angela, but it's frustrating to see how much unnecessary dependence she's let herself get mired in, and someone needs to explain to her how, even when a quad needs some help from a PCA, she does not need "around the clock" help/care. She could benefit from a mitro (or similar procedure), too. :sigh:

As with most "reality shows", the scenarios are so contrived, staged and forced, like the bullriding thing and going down the stairs. I don't want to even get started with Auti.

Bleh.

Oh, well, I'm certainly not their target audience. I hope it leads to bigger and better things for all the "push girls" though.
    Oy Auti yeah all that arguing with her husband on camera was too much. And what was with that scream? Her therapist looked like he was thinking what the hell am I doing? And the drama directed at Chelsea was so juvenile - typical reality show stuff methinks.

I like Angela but she's making quads look terrible. I hope people don't think wearing a diaper is SOP. BTW did her aunt cut her scrambled eggs for her???

@fuente, the young new bf is not surprisingly long gone after Angela made him do all her personal care when they went to NY. He said to the camera something about it being too much for the relationship. He was just a kid and brand new to SCI.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 06-07-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post

Bleh.

We're on the same page, Rus. I find the reality show formula (cheesy music score, suspect editing) undermines the moments of genuine authenticity.

And speaking of contrived, there's a moment in the premier episode of Season One where Tiphany and Mia are working out at the gym using leg adductor and abductor machines. They're using their arms to lift the weights. WTF??!!

I think I need to re-watch season one. After reading some of the posts above it looks like I forgot a lot of stuff, and some things people here said changed my perspective a bit.

Stephen212--that's hilarious about the leg adductor. Completely missed that!