Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal vehicle for manual wheelchair plus dog

Ideal vehicle for manual wheelchair plus dog

How do you travel with your service dog? Regardless of how big a car is, big dogs can't lay down comfortably. I know the back of a truck would be perfect for a dog. But trucks are not so friendly for the wheelchair.

Of course a van is one option. But I prefer to avoid lifts/ramps. I am thinking that the Mini Clubman may be a good choice. I like how it has two hatchback doors that are hinged on the sides rather than the standard single hatchback door that is hinged on the top.

Ideally, I would like a vehicle that I can transfer my wheelchair in one piece (rather than break it down) and that has a bed for my dog.

We are seriously looking into the new Golf (Mk7), with a 2 door. I saw one today and it looks very doable, also with dogs. The boot is reasonable enough for groceries, dogs, and what not. We have 2 small Jack Russles, but they are very big in many ways.

N.B. The Mini Clubman is also interesting for us, but harder for repairs and resale, at least in Holland.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have the Toyota Venza. My chair fits in the cargo area without taking it apart. I can also fit 5 dogs in there at the same time. Luckily the I only do that when I take them to the vet because it's not fun fitting a 100 pound lab, 50 pound boxer, 45 pound Aussie, 10 pound yorkie poo and an 8 pound poodle in with my chair.....

Great car though. Plenty of space.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I should add that I have to sit in the driver seat while putting the wheelchair in the vehicle. I do not have the option to put the wheelchair in the cargo area and then walk over to the driver seat.

Got ya....I don't either. I thought you meant just in general. Not sure of a car that would fit it in without breaking it down, other than a van. I break mine down but when my husband and I go places together then he puts it in the cargo space. Hope you find something that works for you.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I have a full size Ford E-250 van with a lift. (Love the Ford; hate the lift). It makes it easy for me and my dog (Labrador) to get in and out and I don't have to break down my chair. My dog lays on the floor right behind the front seats. I think the cold air from the AC settles there. I have no "middle seat". Disadvantage with van - van parking only.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Could look at a Mazda 5. The new ones are very ugly, but the 2007-2011 aren't too bad. It's like a mini minivan with sliding rear passenger doors. I drive an 07. With the driver side 2nd row seat removed (4 bolts) it is possible to pull in a manual chair (without removing the wheels) into that spot after transferring into the driver seat. You just need to slide the door shut, I bent a brass rod into a hook I use. With the 3rd row "seats" (not suitable for actual people) folded down there is a large flat area that most large dogs would fit.

I like it. Van function without the ugly van look. Thanks.

The mini clubman has its single rear door on the right hand side. I think this has to do with the location of the gas tank. It means on rhd cars you can pull in a chair behind you through the suicide door, not lhd.

yeah, you're not going to get a chair in a Mini w/o removing the wheels.

you could put lowering springs on a Honda Odyssey: