Thread: Footrest height

Footrest height

My feet don't sit flat on my foot plate. I keep my feet tucked in with the ball of my foot resting right at the cross bar of the foot plate.

My heels are always sticking up .5-1". I know part of the problem is my calves are too tight. Before my PT pointed that out, my feet were always pointed (and consequently popping off the footrest a bunch).

I've made adjustments to my stretching routine and things have gotten much better, but I still can't get my stupid feet to sit flat. I don't have a problem with them bouncing off the footplate all the time anymore, but I'd still like to figure out what adjustment I need to make.

Which brings me here, to the CC sages

Could it be that my footrest is too low? Or is it a combination of FSH+STFR? I'm in the process of getting a new chair - mainly to go from 18" wide to 16", but I'd like to figure this one out too.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Do you stand on a regular basis? This is one of the best ways to keep your calf stretched and a flexion contraction of your ankles prevented. Sometimes it is necessary to stand on a wedge to get even more stretch in this area.

(KLD)

Even with the standing you can even add leaning and still attempting to keep feet flat on floor. Where is the position of your thighs when sitting in wheelchair? Are they flat on seat or elevated from seat. This did tons for me, but took a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you stand on a regular basis? This is one of the best ways to keep your calf stretched and a flexion contraction of your ankles prevented. Sometimes it is necessary to stand on a wedge to get even more stretch in this area.

(KLD)
    I try to stand for at least an hour, 4-5 days a week. I use a an EasyStand Glider and KAFOs. I hadn't thought of trying to prop my foot up while standing. Thanks for the tip!

Your footrest is probably adjustable. For most chairs, you just loosen two screws and move it. That's just a quick fix though. I'd change the front seat to floor height if you're getting a new chair. Drop it down to make your feet comfortable. The height of your cushion affects this measurement, so keep that in mind if you are getting a different cushion.
    c6/7 complete