Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Money or knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    Don't you guys think that recent study done on humans with success of recovering bladder &b owel enough of a breakthrough ? Isn't recovering motor function and sensation enough of a breakthrough ? What more do we need ? Total recovery ? Wouldn't that be considered a cure ? Personally I think there's a multum of therapies that if combined with correct cell therapy would result in great effects. we need more trials to eliminate cell types that don't produce good results on humans. IMO of course funding comes along with this because without money nothing will be accomplished. It would be awesome if our community fund asked its members what we'd like to spend its money on.
    I dont know whats your priority number 1 to regain but mine is absolutly movement. Many SCI people say that its bladder / bowel / sexual functions they wanna have back at first but I have to say that I can live without those......I want to walk again. For me this is the most important thing. Your whole health is getting better and better when you can walk or move again. And you prevent many other diseases like Diabetis , blood circulation dysfunctions etc. etc...... For someone who is sitting decades in a wheelchair I undestand it if he or she says my number 1 is bladder or bowel......Perhaps they gave up hope that they will walk again. As i said , my wish number 1 is movement/ walking

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    Cure for what? SCI? TBI? MS? CP?

More effort and energy is still needed about changing attitudes about persons with disabilities, employment, access to medical care, housing, and fair wages and benefits for PCA's, to mention a few.

The "disabled" are such a varied and amorphous population with diverse needs. I'm not even sure what a "cure" would be.

Of course money is the still the best way is western society to obtain knowledge and some degree of enlightenment about disabilities.

Even so, we've come a long way in a short period of time.

Chris
    [C4-5 since 1969]
    To the old guard

would you not think that being close to or reaching the physical or mental or both normalitiys as defined as to what majority of the human population can achive within reason as being a cure?

I would - and employment we are not efficient enough as cripples to compete with our physical counter parts not even in accounting.

therefore the answer is my friend is cure nothing less
    so with that reasoniong all for CURE not CARE

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    To the old guard

I would - and employment we are not efficient enough as cripples to compete with our physical counter parts not even in accounting.
    I respectfully disagree and firmly believe most have the ability to compete in the job market. Dang we might even hire a few TABs (temporarily able bodied)

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    I respectfully disagree and firmly believe most have the ability to compete in the job market. Dang we might even hire a few TABs (temporarily able bodied)
    Well your welcome to come to Australia the land of crap and ill even give a degree etc (mine).

and at the end a month if you don't want to kill yourself in dispair ill do what you want for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by KK11 View Post
    I dont know whats your priority number 1 to regain but mine is absolutly movement. Many SCI people say that its bladder / bowel / sexual functions they wanna have back at first but I have to say that I can live without those......I want to walk again. For me this is the most important thing. Your whole health is getting better and better when you can walk or move again. And you prevent many other diseases like Diabetis , blood circulation dysfunctions etc. etc...... For someone who is sitting decades in a wheelchair I undestand it if he or she says my number 1 is bladder or bowel......Perhaps they gave up hope that they will walk again. As i said , my wish number 1 is movement/ walking
    Um....bladder/bowel are internal organs. Hate to tell you but extremities are never going to work all that well without internal organs working.

Also the reason most people with SCI would trade places in an instant with an amputee. Two legs blown off? Don't care, I'll trade. Easy call.

But to each their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    It depends on which markets we are talking about.
    In my experience most of the times it's not easy to get a job even assuming SCI complications don't prevent you from working with a decent level of productivity.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    Don't you guys think that recent study done on humans with success of recovering bladder &b owel enough of a breakthrough ? Isn't recovering motor function and sensation enough of a breakthrough ? What more do we need ? Total recovery ? Wouldn't that be considered a cure ? Personally I think there's a multum of therapies that if combined with correct cell therapy would result in great effects. we need more trials to eliminate cell types that don't produce good results on humans. IMO of course funding comes along with this because without money nothing will be accomplished. It would be awesome if our community fund asked its members what we'd like to spend its money on.
    I think Wesmaister raises such a good question; what is the definition of "the problem" there are so many effects that can be associated with a spinal cord injury from the inability or impaired ability to walk to the bowel and bladder issues, chronic pain, sexual/reproductive functions, respiratory issues with higher level injuries and so on. I don't see one lump cure coming down the path in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    To the old guard

would you not think that being close to or reaching the physical or mental or both normalitiys as defined as to what majority of the human population can achive within reason as being a cure?

therefore the answer is my friend is cure nothing less
    so with that reasoniong all for CURE not CARE
    I guess I'm the "old guard?"

Well CAS, I have a successful career going on 30 years, so I guess I can compete.

Of course I'd like to have "normal" physical ability, but while I'm waiting for a "cure" I think I'll continue to live my life -- and the fewer barriers (or policies) that get in the way, the better.

The SCI goes all the way back to the brain. I am not a doctor, but pretty sure no 2 brains are the same. A body probably acts in a countless number of ways and probably in countless number or situations. Try taking your eyes out of some very simple thing to do, by closing them and then visually see if can think through something. The way all the data the brain sends, I am pretty sure needs to be synchronized speed with what attempting to do. I do believe in many situations your eyes are sending incorrect data to do something,.

Quote Originally Posted by chris-k View Post
    I guess I'm the "old guard?"

Well CAS, I have a successful career going on 30 years, so I guess I can compete.

Of course I'd like to have "normal" physical ability, but while I'm waiting for a "cure" I think I'll continue to live my life -- and the fewer barriers (or policies) that get in the way, the better.
    Yes i did refer to as the old guard in the manner that you have been in the chair for a long time. It was not meant as a offensive comment but the style of thinking.

I have friends around that have been in the chairs since the early to mid sixties and i gather that accessability was pratically none existant, so i can understand that approach or way thinking.

But I think that the balance has been reached in that there should be more resources devoted towards cure than care. I have hated every single day in this dam physical limitation i make no bones about it.

I am glad that you have had a successful career as many don't.

I don't know what your career is but mine is in business accounting and taxation and the thought is out there that is by the profession here is (especially 50's and over) that you cannot do the work of a physical person.

so yes i have my own practice after working around.

In regards to barriers and building codes etc both the Governments and the business sector try as little to do any thing although i think to a certian degree that will change to accomadate the baby boomers, more than influance from other sources.