Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: got my forearm crutches

I have some sort of mild connective tissue defects, or anyways, hypermobile joints. Cane use makes my wrist ache pretty badly. I can't imagine that everyone who uses a cane does so with so much strain. Could this be part of the connective tissue thing?

Funny, I can put tons of weight on my one hand with my forearm crutch (ergonomic) and it doesn't begin to hurt like my cane hand did.

It depends how unstable your wrist/hand joints are. Many hypermobile people seem to manage canes but I've never been able to do it. My physiotherapist gave me one initially and I didn't even get to leave with it. Straight to crutches for me! It should have been a wheelchair though...

I've never dislocated anything, and haven't had any serious orthopedic problems. I did have a lot of PT early in life due to coordination disorder, IDK if all that could have done any good? They told me I was really tight in the muscles of my legs, but I also am really "loose" in terms of sort of....floppy in terms of when doing things. Or I overdo and sort of, tense up too much. Little in between. The cane thing hurt my hands tho. The crutches are better. Not perfect, but better. My ultralight Ti is effortless, though. No worrying about spazzing. I was at a street fair yesterday, and even jumped a few small curbs. (Four inches or less I can manage.) I'm doing better now so I'm trying to stick with the crutches, but the chair gives me a feeling of freedom nothing else does, since I'm always second guessing everything my body does.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Hello everyone! did anyone here ever hear of smart crutches? i use a walker now but a friend ordered smart crutches, she said trid them and liked them. i seen a picture and they looked bulkie, i am 5ft tall she is pretty much taller so mabe thats why looked to bulkie. i walk far on my walker but i am depending on it way to much, i am no way ready with balance for a cane. she said c rutches might be the change i need for more balance. thanks

I'm not SCI, and so I don't know specifics about SCI type rehab, but crutches, in general, will offer a good bit more support than a cane. They can take heavier weight bearing, as well, and feel more stable in your grip, if that makes sense, than canes. But they also require a lot more coordination, balance, and arm and core strength, than a walker. IE, if you're putting a lot of pressure on the crutches to take a step, and one of them sort of slips to the side, you can lose your balance, and may fall. You have to be able to keep them firm on the floor/in line to support much weight.
    I've only been using mine about a week, but I can already say that it's definitely easier if you're able to take steps, and brace yourself with the crutches, vs doing a swing thru technique, in terms of balance, strength, etc. I use a variety of gaits depending on my needs any given moment, since involuntary movements can change my posture and range of motion continually.

Talking with a PT would probably be a good idea, for pointers on how to use them best for you, and to get fitted. IMHO, it will probably serve you well to get good quality crutches rather than hospital style ones...same sorta way you get better use from a higher end chair. It's just lighter, better for your joints, etc. I can't use hospital style ones, arm pain within minutes. For me the millenials seem perfect, and I love the shock absorption.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

I have both Millennial and Walk Easy and even for the short distances I do walk, the Millennial are practically impossible for me to use due to their weight.

About SmartCrutch - they are adjustable for height and elbow angle but the forearm-length cuffs are so large around ... they probably fit large people better than small people. Specifically, skinny forearms have too much room inside, between leaning your arm on the cuff to step and hanging the cuff on your forearm to swing it forward.
    Accept the stuff you can't change and change the stuff you can't accept.

I don't notice the difference in weight at all, but I do MASSIVELY notice the difference on my joints. Regular lightweight crutches were killer on my hand, wrist, elbow, and shoulder. The ergonomically angled handgrip was nearly as great as the shock absorber for me. Especially because I wear wrist braces most of the time, so regular forearm crutches also made the wrist brace sort of dig into me as it tried to keep my wrist and hand in a neutral positioning, and the grip tried to force it at an unnatural angle.

Ok, thats not exactly right... I notice the difference in weight if I just pick up the crutch, but in actual use I've never noticed it being heavier.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

[SIZE=14px]I walked with forearm crutches for 36 years and tried out many brands. The Walk Easy and very light weight but I bent one after a couple of weeks and they would not warranty them. I tried Loftstrand crutches but they were heavy, noisy and a pain to adjust. I tried some crutches with the cylinder to lessen the shock but they didn't work as I would swing through a lot and the pistons lowered too much with my full weight. Finally I found out about Fetterman crutches and their tornado crutch tips. They are very light weight, very strong, they had shock absorbing cushion inserts in the grips and crutch tips that would flex and not slip. They were made to order and even had leather pads in the cuffs for propping. They were high priced but costs less than a bone I broke using the cheaper brands.

Good luck.

Millard
    [/SIZE]