Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got my forearm crutches

got my forearm crutches

I have Millennial In-motion forearm crutches. They arrived a couple days ago. They're every bit as good as I'd hoped...a little chunkier than I'd anticipated, hand grips bigger around than I'd thought, but the suspension built in is epic....no more arm and wrist shock! I've taken to using one at a time, so I can lean on it and not stumble so much when the spazzes strike. Both together during dystonic twisting keep me pretty steady.
    All in all, I'm really impressed at how handy they are, and how much more comfortable they are than the hospital style I had initially demo'd, which gave me awful hand and arm pain within a few minutes of use. I'm glad got them when I did, since my chair's screwed up ATM. They're also decidedly easier to transport, and perfect for when I can walk but don't want to go without anything, either. And they fixed the hand/wrist pain issue I had with walking stick. I guess the thing with that was that the cane wasn't made to do that kind of weight bearing. Plus I can sort of let them drag/hang by the cuff on my elbow while I do something with my and, which is cool, since a cane is more of a pain in that scenario.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

I've had Millennial for years now...very pleased with them. I changed the tips to "Tornado" tips which further enhances my crutches

I went from the el crapos to Side stixs and what a difference a good pair makes. The ergonomic hand grips and tornado tips plus the shock absorbers really help. I lean on them pretty hard when walking, so I really needed a good pair. Glad you got some you like.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I also recommend the tornado tips

The hand grips are much larger, but they ergonomic which is much better for your hands and wrists. Though the given left and right grips was a bit of a pain for me since I can only use a forearm crutch on my right side, I'm not able to use one with my left arm due to nerve damage. So I used one until the shock wore out, then swapped the right handed grip over to the other crutch to use that one.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I had a decent attack earlier, and they kept me up! Otherwise, I'd have had to be in my chair. (Chair has a flat which is yet to be fixed....) Anyway, I love these things! I think I like using one at a time best, other than when I'm doing really badly like would be falling over without them, and then I need both.
    Last edited by voxina; 04-21-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

How are the cuffs of forearm crutches supposed to fit? These are full cuff front opening, and they're pretty loose. I can stick the fingers of my hand through the extra space up to about the palm when I have my arm already in it.

PS: Lin, how long was it before the shock wore out? I read on Millennial's website that the crutches have some kind of warranty. Maybe you could get it replaced?

I think the warranty is something like a year, I bought mine in 2008 so I'm sure I'm beyond any warranty lol. They are a good company though and will work with you to order replacement parts. So I may try to replace the shock on the broken crutch at some point. I pretty much only use them at home now though since I use my chair when I leave.

The cuff depends on how you want it. There are 2 cuff options I think when ordering them. If they're too loose and causing issues while using the crutches you can add in a padded liner. When I'm wearing tshirts the cuff is pretty loose but they don't slip or cause issues with me using the crutch, and then in the winter sometimes I can barely squish my arm with my coat into them. My first pair of forearm crutches were Euro open cuff and with those I had a really big problem and fell occasionally as a result. They were a step up from canes though lol, which I absolutely could not control. It would land all over the place, too far forward, too far to the side, not far enough forward... No matter how hard I concentrated. I only tried it for a weekend though, between that the wrist dislocations from all the weight on my hand I brought them back and we went to forearm crutches!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Thanks for the advice, Lin. I ordered some pads, since I want it to be able to hold my arm more firmly. At times I have to walk with both to be able to move on one foot, and their being loose makes me wobbly. And other times I'd like to be able to use my hand with my arm supporting some of my weight, which isn't possible given their being bigger than my forearm. Overall they work great--last night I was able to bring in groceries even though without them I would hardly have been able to walk!

For their warranty, my 1st pair got all rusted out...I use the in and around salt water a lot! They sent me a new pair for $35.

I also had a pair Euro's. Yes they are unstable but I actually got used to their quirks and liked them a lot....they are so lite

Lin, this EDSer can't use anything other than full cuff crutches either. I can't even work out how people use half cuff and sticks. My hands and wrists just won't do it!