Thread: warranty on batteries?

warranty on batteries?

The 22nf batteries in my 4 month old scooter seem to be dying. The owners manual says they aren't covered under warranty. I'm still going to call them and let them know what i think. Do you think the battery manufacturer would cover them under warranty? This just has me highly irritated... my batteries always seem to last about two years.

No, because the manufacturer has no way of knowing how they've been used. If you run them right down or don't charge them up when you get home the battery won't last very long. Lead acid batteries like to be kept fully charged and last longer if you don't use more than 50% of their rated capacity. Sorry to bring bad news.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

There are many junk batteries out there. If you got them through Medicare, they only pay about $250 for a pair of 22NF. You can't buy a quality brand for that. In my experience the cheap Chinese batteries are about half as good in terms of capacity or life. There are also internet rumors of name brand knockoffs. Doesn't take much to counterfeit a label, so I suppose it's possible.

I've been using MK batteries I get from SpinLife. Current set are nearly four year old and still good. Only issue is the cost -- $390, but they do take returns. Of course insurance does not pay for them I have my local car mechanic put them in.

I agree that you probably got junk batteries and it can't hurt to voice your complaint or trade them in. And as SupiSi says, keep 'em charged

http://www.spinlife.com/MK-Battery-2...5#.UXFwwMu9KSM

yes, they should be covered. I had a set of 3 month old interstate batteries that I had replaced under warranty. they tried to give me a hard time by saying I had a bad charger. then in the next sentence they were saying they had 3 pairs of the same battery type brought back by other people that week. so I was like well it's not 4 different chargers that are a problem. the new set is going strong a year and a half later.

Ok thanks for the replies. A question for you all.. if you leave the chair plugged into the charger, which remains plugged into the outlet, will the batteries stay fully charged without use for several weeks? I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting a chair dedicated to outdoor use. With that said, there may be times when i don't use the chair for periods of time. How do i ensure that my batteries stay good? In my mind, if I can keep them charged, they should last a long time because they aren't being continually recharged, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    Ok thanks for the replies. A question for you all.. if you leave the chair plugged into the charger, which remains plugged into the outlet, will the batteries stay fully charged without use for several weeks? I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting a chair dedicated to outdoor use. With that said, there may be times when i don't use the chair for periods of time. How do i ensure that my batteries stay good? In my mind, if I can keep them charged, they should last a long time because they aren't being continually recharged, right?
    With good and relatively new batteries it should be no problem.

I keep an old chair as a back-up, charge it once week with an auto-off charger, seems to work fine. Been doing this for about 18 months. These are sealed no, maintenance, gel type batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    ...if you leave the chair plugged into the charger...
    Depends on the charger. Some will kill the batteries if left on. If you can't verify your charger has a maintenance mode, it should not be left on. A good battery, can go months without charging if there is no external load.