Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $40,000,000 Stem Cell Donation

$40,000,000 Stem Cell Donation

from Hong Kong billionaire
    Source

HK billionaire donates Berkeley $40M for stem cell research

www.chinaview.cn 2005-06-27 12:48:10

BEIJING, June 27 (Xinhuanet) -- Charitable foundation of Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing has donated $40 million to the University of California at Berkeley, campus officials said Thursday.
    Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing's charitable foundation has donated $40 million to fund a center to research stem cell and brain imaging technology at the University of California at Berkeley.

This donation from the Li Ka Shing Foundation will be used to establish a research center focused on new scientific fields including stem cell biology and brain imaging, according to campus officials.

"I am a firm believer in the spirit of public-private partnership, and I am excited by the advanced work Berkeley is undertaking," says billionaire philanthropist Li Ka-shing in a statement. "The work and research being done there will result in phenomenal benefits to mankind."

Li's donation will jump-start planning on a new $160 million scientific research center slated for construction in 2007. Construction will be completed in 2009.

The building will be named the "Li Ka-shing Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences."

It is the largest international gift in the university's history.

Li's wealth is a far cry from his humble beginnings in Chaozhou, mainland China where his work ethic and strong commitment to learning grew after his own education took a back seat after his father died when he was 12.

He established the Li Ka-shing Foundation in 1980 to coordinate donations for education, medicine, and cultural and community welfare. Enditem

(Agencies)

i think its great all the attention new research is getting..i also thinks awsome that somone see,s the potential enough to donate this kind of money...but wouldnt it be wiser to donate to an already established research facility rather than donate it to a group who needs to build a new building..seems kind of foolish to me..shit the building wont be completed till 2009.how is this going to bennifit anyone in the near future?but then,,with all the phases of trials,safety testes,compiling of datta and waiting to see any side effects..i guess we are still a very longs ways away form any cures anyhow..

scott r

Very generous of him but I kinda wish he had donated it to the HKU-SCI fund instead.

[This message was edited by seneca on 06-28-05 at 10:44 AM.]

Hey Steve, thanks for posting.

It is very encouraging to see philanthropists put such huge amounts of money into this revolutionary medicine.

~ The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge ~ Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    www.CureParalysisNow.org

Originally posted by seneca:

Very generous of him but I kinda wish he had donated it the the HKU-SCI fund instead.
    I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps Suzanne will be or has contacted him.

where's Bill Gates?

Call me a party pooper but I think it's a wasted opportunity. It's going towards a $160m building only scheduled to be completed in 2009. Sad. If the guy was that interested in helping people, he would have found current projects to fund anonymously, not built some building that will no doubt have his name emblazed on it for eternity.

--
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.

Originally posted by Phil:

Call me a party pooper but I think it's a wasted opportunity. It's going towards a $160m building only scheduled to be completed in 2009. Sad. If the guy was that interested in helping people, he would have found current projects to fund anonymously, not built some building that will no doubt have his name emblazed on it for eternity.

--
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    i agree. wasted $40 million. no wonder why new therapies stay in the research phase.

I think he should have donated the money to the Miami project to build more buildings to compliment that one beautiful building they now have.

I think that money would have been much better donated to the Koreans who recently announced the major breakthrough in Stem Cells.

The building will be named the "Li Ka-shing Center for Biomedical and Health Sciences."
    Great donation, but his name will be on the building, forever !