Thread: Bladder Irrigation - How?

Bladder Irrigation - How?

My urologist advised me to irrigate my bladder with 100cc of saline daily. He said to put it in and then take it right back out, to "wash" the bladder.

I have a 60cc piston tip syringe that will fit into the tip of the catheter. My question is how can I put in the first 60cc and then remove the syringe to put in the additional 40cc without draining that 60cc out all over the place? The answer to that question will likely answer this one. How can I get the 100cc of saline back out without making a mess when I remove the syringe from the catheter?

I have the extension tubing that connects to the catheter for draining into the toilet.

Thanks.

I assume you are doing intermittent or "clean cathing"?

I put 60 cc's of irrigation (instill after cathing out bladder), saline and antibiotic in daily and leave in for a few hours ( until next cath time) I inject the 60 CC slowly and then crimp catheter tube with thumb and forefinger. (crimp catheter, not extension tubing you mention) It keeps the saline mixture from coming out of bladder while I remove cath.

I am puzzled about 100 cc amount. If you are working with 60 cc syringe. If you instill additional 40 cc it seems the first 60 is going to come out like cathing when you place tube in.

Below is an article from New Mobility that describes instillation / irrigation method as I do it. As mentioned above I use it mixed with antibiotic mixed into saline. It was a pain in the neck when I first started and I didn't see how the mechanics were going to work, now it works very well.

Wishing you good luck let me know if you have questions. I may not be fully understanding the method your doctor is asking you to perform.

For the last few years this procedure has broken a recurring UTI cycle I was in and reduced by about 80 % annually.

New Mobility 2011 article:
    http://www.newmobility.com/articleVi...tion%20bladder
    Last edited by ChesBay; 04-18-2013 at 02:14 AM. Reason: eta: content

Thanks for the reply! How do I do the crimp exactly? I see what you wrote but I'm still confused (it's not hard to confuse me!).

Would leaving the syringe plugged into the catheter while pulling the catheter out accomplish the same thing or no?

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I assume you are doing intermittent or "clean cathing"?

I put 60 cc's of irrigation (instill after cathing out bladder), saline and antibiotic in daily and leave in for a few hours ( until next cath time) I inject the 60 CC slowly and then crimp catheter tube with thumb and forefinger. (crimp catheter, not extension tubing you mention) It keeps the saline mixture from coming out of bladder while I remove cath.

I am puzzled about 100 cc amount. If you are working with 60 cc syringe. If you instill additional 40 cc it seems the first 60 is going to come out like cathing when you place tube in.

Below is an article from New Mobility that describes instillation / irrigation method as I do it. As mentioned above I use it mixed with antibiotic mixed into saline. It was a pain in the neck when I first started and I didn't see how the mechanics were going to work, now it works very well.

Wishing you good luck let me know if you have questions. I may not be fully understanding the method your doctor is asking you to perform.

For the last few years this procedure has broken a recurring UTI cycle I was in and reduced by about 80 % annually.

New Mobility 2011 article:
    http://www.newmobility.com/articleVi...tion%20bladder

I am also having these kind of problems. I would also be interested to know. How do I do the crimp exactly??

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    My urologist advised me to irrigate my bladder with 100cc of saline daily. He said to put it in and then take it right back out, to "wash" the bladder.

I have a 60cc piston tip syringe that will fit into the tip of the catheter. My question is how can I put in the first 60cc and then remove the syringe to put in the additional 40cc without draining that 60cc out all over the place? The answer to that question will likely answer this one. How can I get the 100cc of saline back out without making a mess when I remove the syringe from the catheter?

I have the extension tubing that connects to the catheter for draining into the toilet.

Thanks.

Its much easier to use this type of a syringe. And it works better.

To instill the 100 cc, put the 60 cc in, fold the catheter over aand withdraw the syringe. Then instill the other 40 cc. Fold the catheter over and remove it if you want to keep the fluid in. If you just want it returned, keep the catheter in place and put it in a urinal. The saline should drain out.
    Hope this makes sense.
    CKF