Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapted Yoga

Adapted Yoga

Anyone tried adapted Yoga? I'm a c7 quad and I'm desperatly looking for a way to get rid of my quad belly
    http://sitstandorwheel.com/

When I was still AB but had enough joint damage to keep me from running, I did a very active yoga class that left me sweating and panting. Even though all the other people in the class were extremely fit women, they were all very encouraging to me, a middle aged guy.

My sister is a yoga teacher (multiple styles.) I asked her last week if she would design a program for my limits that I could use as a daily workout.

Talk to a local teacher, even if they don't normally run an adapted class, you may find that you can participate in a regular class with modified positions that your teacher works out with you.

I've never personally had or seen a bad attitude response to from teacher or classmates to anyone, no matter their level of fitness (including some very overweight and self conscious students) to anyone who was visibly trying to make a good effort.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    When I was still AB but had enough joint damage to keep me from running, I did a very active yoga class that left me sweating and panting. Even though all the other people in the class were extremely fit women, they were all very encouraging to me, a middle aged guy.

My sister is a yoga teacher (multiple styles.) I asked her last week if she would design a program for my limits that I could use as a daily workout.

Talk to a local teacher, even if they don't normally run an adapted class, you may find that you can participate in a regular class with modified positions that your teacher works out with you.

I've never personally had or seen a bad attitude response to from teacher or classmates to anyone, no matter their level of fitness (including some very overweight and self conscious students) to anyone who was visibly trying to make a good effort.

Agree. There are also some youtube videos if you wish to start. look at seated yoga
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

A private class or 2 w/ a truly good instructor might make you feel more comfortable. Just be careful. Our lack of sensation can make us think we are more flexible than we are. If you can do this, I highly recommend it. Whether it helps w/ quad belly or not it will help in a million different ways. Being limber reduces injuries, w/out a doubt. Yoga makes you more comfortable in your skin.

And if you happen to have to spend a month or so having your ass and thighs bandaged, it's nice for the nurses that your hips flexors allow them to pull your leg up backwards while you lie facedown on the bed and they wrap 2 miles of gauze around your upper leg.

Ahem. Not that I would know...If I had a dollar for every time I've said "It's ok. I bend that way. I do yoga" in the past month, I think I'd have $50.00!

My 1st official yoga class had a star student in her late 70's. This woman was badass. The instructor told me she initially came in hunched over, in pain, resigned to aging being the process that makes death look good. When I met her she moved like a 40 yr. old in good shape. She credited yoga. She didn't look 30, I'm not claiming magic. But she felt good and by then was swimming 2 miles a day as well! My mom the hippie always had me doing yoga, although we didn't call it that. We caled it Mom's hippie cure for menstrual cramps. When I was in rehab and they assumed I'd have trouble utting shoes on my ancient 40 yr old feet, I learned that flexibility was going to be important in this brave new sci world. I just picked up my foot, pulled it up to my groin and put my shoes on. My OT was astounded. I was astounded that everybody couldn't do that!
    Last edited by betheny; 04-18-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    When I was in rehab and they assumed I'd have trouble utting shoes on my ancient 40 yr old feet, I learned that flexibility was going to be important in this brave new sci world. I just picked up my foot, pulled it up to my groin and put my shoes on. My OT was astounded. I was astounded that everybody couldn't do that!
    In his brand new HBO comedy special, Louis CK riffs wondrously on the daily improbability that he's actually able to bend his middle-aged body far enough to get his socks on his feet. It's like "folding a bowling ball in half."

I know this instructor in San Diego, and know many people who have gone to her classes:

http://www.sharp.com/rehab/adaptive-yoga.cfm

(KLD)

Interesting thread. I agree completely about the importance of flexibility. I broke my leg last summer in a fall and I blame my lack of flexibility. Been working at it and things are loosening up. Time to try yoga again.

very interesting link. They seem tied into Chula Vista and the referring physicians of that area but good information... wonder if Craig or another rehab facility could offer some online yoga tips for us disabled?

Thanks for reminding me to stretch more. I wonder if a person could get some cardio with the breathing exercises?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old